University alnico 12" spec request.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just bought a University 12" alnico speaker to use in a guitar amp. Its a 6200 model rated for 30 watts, 8 ohm. Wondering if anyone can give me any specs or other info on these speakers? My understanding is that University was somehow linked to Altec, and that these have a "W" magnet, which is supposed to be a good thing.

I know this application would lead one to put this thread in the "Instruments" section, but as this driver was originally for other uses I thought those looking in this section might be more knowledgable.

RC,

I have no experience with the 6200 12-inch full range, but have measured TS parameters for others of that period, including the 8 and 12 inch Diffusicones and the 6201 coax. The 6201 might be a close derivative, but there are critical differneces. The 6201 has the same magnetic structure as the 12 inch Diffusicone (based on visual inspection). The 6200 is spec'ed as having a 1 pound alnico magnet, while the Diffusicone has a 1 1/2 lb alnico magnet (see hifilit.com).

They all have relatively high Qts (0.4-0.7)and are quite efficient (95-97 db/w/m). Surround compliance is moderate so Vas tends to be moderate also. For example, for the 6201: Qts 0.50, Fs 50.5 Hz, Vas 3.28 cf, spl 94.6, Re 7.8 ohms (rated '8-16').

The highish Qts does mandate a quite large cabinet for BR use. All this is to suggest that the 6200 would probably work quite well in an open back cabinet about the size of a Fender Deluxe, especially with tube amplification and a little bass boost. For ss amplification more bass boost would be required. A vintage driver is not likely to take well to being overdriven by a ss amp. PP or SE 6V6 would be ideal.

Regards,

Bob

Thank you, that is very helpful. Sounds like I made a good choice. I've been searching for an alnico driver that will fit into a vintage Ampeg Jet, but be able to handle the 15 or so watts better than the stock Jensen, CTS, or Rola drivers. I love the sounds I get using something like a Celestion Blue, but the large magnet on those won't fit into the cab due to proximity to the tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.