Bandor revisited

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yeah ive seen these too, although a while back. the 50mm were interesting, but im not sure if the lack of sensitivity is acceptable, I think even the smallest alpairs have slightly better. but the larger drivers seem ok....some VERY good at bass, but i think needing respectively HUGE boxes....I may be wrong...its been a while. Ill look at the link now lol, they still intrigue me I have to say

scratch that bit about sensitivity...they seem ok. Comparable to the markaudio...but i dont like the way 2 FR graphs look nice in the HF and the other 2 look awful.....never understood that

Last edited:
They seem to sim ok..

BandorWINISD.jpg

Given that no Xmax spec is stated I assumed 1mm for winISD, whether thats accurate or not who knows...

Doreen etc

Doreen the nice lady who runs Bandor, used to be married to Ted Jordan of Jordan Designs fame, where they both originally worked together producing the 50mm drivers & others. At some point they both went their seperate ways, in more ways than one. They must have agreed that they both had rights to continue making the drivers, as they have/did for many years since the split.

I have a pair of brand new 50mm Bandor's still boxed from several years ago, which were for a project that didn't get completed !

Bass to move the furniture, no; but my recent experience with Bandor 50s in a sealed boxes showed that pitch differentiation and timbre down low can be remarkably good - much, much better than I expected, though obviously limited in loudness. Quality over quantity.

+1 -if it's the intimation of bass response you're looking for, there are actually more than a few modern drivers that do surprisingly well - the latest Mark Audio drivers Alpair 6M and even more so 6P, as well as CHP and EL70, and Fostex FF85WK

Looked into Bandor a bit more. Intrigued that such a little driver can have 85dB/1w, 65 Fs, 50w (max) rating, so they still compare very well with anything produced today.
Because the 50mm units havent had much commercial use over the last 10 years its tricky to find much online. They plot very nicely on winisd and I can see why Doreen recommends the smaller enclosure as it gives a BSC rise, which is neat. Anyway, here are a couple of links of interest

Mini mini minimonitors! - pink fish media

[Review] Seventh Veil Speakers [Archive] - AudioSmile Forum

Last edited:
the only thing i have against the 50mm Bandors is the FR graphs for certain impedance drivers. without looking at the site again and IIRC, its the 4 and 16 ohm that have a good HF response and that I at least would be happy running fullrange. I always thought it strange there was such a marked difference, and i guess this put me off trying the 'good' ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.