Mark Audio CHP 70 Gen2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2011, 09:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mark Audio CHP 70 Gen2

I was browsing Madisound after a period of finding many things out of stock.

Today they are showing the 4 in CHR 70 Gen2. No reviews yet or indications from old threads that they are in use.

Here is what they show:

Markaudio CHP-70 Gen2 Natural Paper: Madisound Speaker Store

This inexpensive driver I'd like to try in my BIB and modify to fit.

BIB was built for Fostex FE127e.

Any remarks or reviews on the Gen2?
Old 8th August 2011, 09:24 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
I was browsing Madisound after a period of finding many things out of stock.

Today they are showing the 4 in CHR 70 Gen2. No reviews yet or indications from old threads that they are in use.

Here is what they show:

Markaudio CHP-70 Gen2 Natural Paper: Madisound Speaker Store

This inexpensive driver I'd like to try in my BIB and modify to fit.

BIB was built for Fostex FE127e.

Any remarks or reviews on the Gen2?

Several DIYers in England have been very happy with them in FH3 and other designs.

audio-talk :: View topic - Frugal Horn Mk3 build for CHP70 and FE126En

Based on a couple of brief recent sessions with the smaller Alpair 6P paper driver, as well as extensive familiarity with the CSS EL70, I'd opine that the CHP70 will likely not disappoint folks familiar with the FE127E
Old 8th August 2011, 09:45 PM   #3
clk230 is offline clk230  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

i use them in some frugal horns (pics in gallery)they sound great
Old 8th August 2011, 10:53 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The original CHP (called CHP70, but like EL70 were the 1st MA to incorporate Gen 2 tech) is the one mentioned by Chris (and i believe clk)

The new Gen 3 tech CHP (CHP70 gen 2 which i call CHP70.3) is an unknown. It should benefit from all the new refinements thrown at it. Nore that T/S wize it is very close to the CHR in character & the kinds of boxes & box volumes it works in.

20 on my break-in bench.

dave
Old 9th August 2011, 02:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well no rush. I was getting the yen to get something new right away then the heat kicked in. That, and I started a new computer build. I like the look of these as opposed to metal dust caps.

I want to try my hand a MK3 sometime as well

I will watch for yours and other's notes as things progress.
Old 11th August 2011, 01:00 AM   #6
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I'd opine that the CHP70 will likely not disappoint folks familiar with the FE127E
I'm not sure how to interpret this. I'm familiar with my FE127E's and I don't like 'em at the high end - I'm designing them out of my current boxes. I was hoping to replace them with some MA drivers. First pair of boxes just got some EL-70's and I'm very happy with those. But the EL-70 is 4 Ohm and I'd prefer 8 Ohm in general. I like paper drivers. So the CHP70 looks very attractive (other than the strange coloured paper cone). I took a quick peak at the link posted above and the FR of the driver does have a bit of a small peak at 7kHz - please tell me it ain't an FE127
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 11th August 2011, 01:34 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
CHP70 looks very attractive (other than the strange coloured paper cone).
It is available in the beige or blackish like the EL70.

dave
Old 1st May 2012, 06:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I looked up a search on the Markaudio CHP-70 Gen2 and the search came back with one of my old threads.

Well they went on deal (enough to cancel shipping cost) so I sent for one. I'm in Wisconsin US so shipping is pretty reasonable. I'm going to try a mount of the new driver in a BIB that has an old FE127e. The one went through some experimentation which -- how to say --took the spark out of it and decreased perceived loudness. The Markaudio CHP-70 Gen2 was a minimal replacement.
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

My CHP arrived and I was surprised that it didn't have a data sheet or standardized packaging. A gasket is included plus four screws. Since I have read about the care in setting up a Mark Audio driver I was surprised that no data sheet or any sheets related to the CHP were included.

I decided to put the driver in a smaller box that I use for nearfield music listening to break it in. I'm using Audacity's feature of the ability to make white noise simply from a button on the program. Previous info on Mark Audio said that I should start at low volume doing the white noise break in so that's what I'm doing.
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:23 PM   #10
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

IIRC Mark recommends soft music at low volume for break up, no artificially generated noise for his drivers. He opines that non-repetitive patterns are good for the break in.

Hide this!Advertise here!