Fostex FE167E bookshelf encloasure(not a bassreflex) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2011, 12:27 PM   #1
imagios is offline imagios  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex FE167E bookshelf encloasure(not a bassreflex)

Hello,
I have looked up some of the existing threads and found the bookshelfs only as a bassreflex.
I will get new FE167En to exchange my old fostex drivers, and for the old ones I plan to build out of them a bookshelf speaker, since the small Xmax, I look for a encloasure that is not a bassreflex, any options?
Old 8th August 2011, 02:44 PM   #2
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

While this link specifically deals with the 166E, it may provide a starting point for you S.E.X.y speakers
Old 8th August 2011, 05:25 PM   #3
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Are all vented enclosures ruled out - or more appropriate question might be - how physically large can you go?

There are no doubt many great designs for this driver -I have built one of the Fostex "recommended" enclosures for this driver, and while it's certainly not a stand-out performer, a bookshelf sized sealed enclosure for this driver might well be more of an underachiever. Of the several designs for this driver that I've heard, all were some type of vented - MLTLs, and resistive slot loaded.
Old 8th August 2011, 08:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It looks like a Fonken167 does exist but it is actually a very attractive floor stander. A large bookshelf Fonken is probably possible.
Old 8th August 2011, 09:17 PM   #5
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssportclay View Post
It looks like a Fonken167 does exist but it is actually a very attractive floor stander.
A flock of them in fact . The original sketch showed net enclosure volume at 24 liters, although I my as-built drawings showed a larger volume at 33L. (the lower portion was a void cavity to eliminate the need for awkward sized / expensive stands that could have cost more than the material for the enclosures. ) .

Quote:
A large bookshelf Fonken is probably possible.
see above - if your bookshelf has space for a pair of 24 liter boxes, go for it

FWIW, I built a variation on the small (15 liter)BR box per Fostex plans as break-in boxes for the 167s while constructing the first pair of the floorstanders, and while it didn't get all the performance out of the driver, it frankly wasn't as hurtful as some of their other recommended enclosures.
Old 8th August 2011, 09:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

>>> FWIW, I built a variation on the small (15 liter)BR box per Fostex plans as break-in boxes for the 167s...

I also built a small ported box for the similar 168s (older style with whizzer) and thought it sounded very lean. This is a tough one to call IMO... these drivers offer so much but when choked in small boxes they don't sound their best.

Does anyone know how deep the 167e goes in a small sealed box? I'd imagine the response is tipped up as well.
Old 8th August 2011, 09:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

How deep they go in a bassreflex it can be found here:
DIY Audio Projects - Hi-Fi Blog for DIY Audiophiles: Fostex FE167E Bass Reflex Speakers

I think of a posible spiralhorn, but dont accualy know any one who build such a thing...
or the Fonken, but I dont found plans for the bookshelf type for this driver. It should be a bedroom speaker the bedroom is 12square meters, so quite a small room that migh be a advance in this case
Old 8th August 2011, 10:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Imagios,

did you read the article "Arpeggio loudspeaker" in the article section of this site?
It is a sealed box project, it could be what you were looking for

Renato
Old 8th August 2011, 11:34 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagios View Post
I will get new FE167En to exchange my old fostex drivers
No such thing as FE167En (modified FE167e called FE167eN do exist)

The FE166En will not work well in enclosures designed for FE167e. FF165wk might.

dave
Old 9th August 2011, 08:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hello Dave,
i made a mistake its the FE167eN I will get and want to put them into mine speakers (Bobs FT-1600 MkII) Taking out the old ones FE167E I plan to do something with them... and a bookshelf would be suitable for me...

Hide this!Advertise here!