These drivers suited to MJK style 'Fast' - esque 2way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used to run a pair of Selenium 15PW3-SLF on OB, which is a similar driver. Worked well, as long as you cross low to fight the rising response that OB gives you. The slightly higher Q of the Fane and an H frame will help that.

Erling has given you a good lead with his 120Hz LP choice. :checked:

I used to run a pair of Selenium 15PW3-SLF on OB, which is a similar driver. Worked well, as long as you cross low to fight the rising response that OB gives you. The slightly higher Q of the Fane and an H frame will help that.

Erling has given you a good lead with his 120Hz LP choice. :checked:

I agree with that for sure Pano......i can think of a multitude of fullrangers to go with that at around 83-87dB, AND possibly allow a bit of baffle step correction around the x-over point.

The only problem that remains is my small L shaped listening room.....lol

@ Pano; I think I see what you're getting at...

Im also assuming that the sim does not simulate ACTUAL frequency response, as I dont think the frd is used....although that IS just an assumption. That being the case any response bumps and dips between 100 and 500hz or so are going to alter things a little, if theyre significant enough.

So im expecting a little adjustment here and there.

TB_options.jpg

Maybe one of these... 3 W2-800SL per side, in a small array; or a single W2-1285SL per side.

I could use the A5s I have here waiting for a project....but i fear their sensitivity is a bit TOO low ;9

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The graph is a simulation, but is a good guide to what you will get. O.B. crossovers are NOT like box crossovers. It can take some time to really learn that. One of the things you'll notice in well designed OBs is the lower than normal Low Pass filter. It is electrically low so the that acoustic response ends up flat. Otherwise the OB losses leave you with no bass and too much mid. You can lose as much as 10dB doing this trick, that's the trade off.

There are other tricks to OB crossovers, but that's the main one.

Maybe one of these... 3 W2-800SL per side, in a small array; or a single W2-1285SL per side.

I could use the A5s I have here waiting for a project....but i fear their sensitivity is a bit TOO low ;9

Around 87 db sensitivity for the fullrange should match the 15" Fane, if you choose the crossover frequence as mentioned. It's not necessary to choose a fullrange with higher sensitivity, because then you'll have to damp this further.

Last edited:
Im also assuming that the sim does not simulate ACTUAL frequency response, as I dont think the frd is used....although that IS just an assumption. That being the case any response bumps and dips between 100 and 500hz or so are going to alter things a little, if theyre significant enough.

If the driver is of decent quality, the .frd file should be fairly smooth over this limited low frequency range. Anomolies in the response due to room influences will swamp any small bumps and dips in the driver's .frd curves.

Martin

Eminance Beta 15 will behave very similar to the Fane unit but in a 7.5" long U average sensitivity 40 - 300 Hz will be 82 dB for 1 watt same conditions as above.

/Erling

im assuming the frame is
16*16*16 in the h frame, and 16*16*7.5 in the u frame, am i correct?

Around 87 db sensitivity for the fullrange should match the 15" Fane, if you choose the crossover frequence as mentioned. It's not necessary to choose a fullrange with higher sensitivity, because then you'll have to damp this further.

ok this seems to point to the triplet of w2-800 with sens ~87dB FOR H FRAME, and perhaps the alpair for a u frame...
Interesting...thanks guys. The only doubt i have is monopole mid-hf with ob bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.