Port location in a TL speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I understand the port has to be at the end of the TL, but in a speaker like this one:
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/microTower-maps-150909.pdf
the port fires down. That obviously creates some build complexity with the legs, and I am not a huge fan of that look. Could the port equally well be at the bottom firing to the side or front, or is there some reason (e.g. go off-axis from the two drivers) it needs to fire down?

can it make a difference?

The reason i'm asking is i'm working on a pair of speakers for my son - my first transmission lines. Initially i had the ports firing down with the speakers temporarily raised on blocks about 4" then i flipped them so the port was firing upwards with about 4' between port and ceiling there seems to be a lot more bass that way.

The speakers are designed with an F3 of 40hz and F10 of 30hz so could it be the long wavelengths at these frequencies that are getting affected?

Is it just my ears playing tricks on me?

Yes. front, side, back is fine

dave

IINM, the port could even be rationalized into a rear firing slot to maintain a smooth front panel.

FWIW, the aesthetics on these were a direct homage to speakers that Dave & I sold many hundreds of pairs "back in the day" - for that matter I've copied the treatment used on bases of the original EPI MT2 well.

epi-mt.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.