help needed: Alpair 7 in a large room - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2011, 12:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy help needed: Alpair 7 in a large room

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to build an Alpair 7 project (Twin Alpair 7 DBR or GR dMar-Ken7) with a subwoofer. I have a large room. That's why I was thinking of the Twin Alpair 7 (Higher SPL). No earthshaking levels requirered. No home cinema use.

The problem I face is room gain. With my current small 2 way BR monitor I made this measurement on listening position (10 feet). Speakers are close to the wall and one is in a corner.

in room 10 feet.jpg

I'm thinking of a Full range + Sub. So my plan is to have an equalized sub and full range main speakers without filtering/EQ. I assume that I have more control over the bass with a sub, because I have more options for room placement and EQ. The position of the main speakers is fixed (after years of negotiations with my wife). I have some more freedom in placing the sub (a marginal result, but it could turn out to be enough).

To have more control over the low frequencies, what is the best solution:
1. Should I go for sealed enclosures instead of BR?

2. Is it possible to design a full range with sealed enclosure without any filtering, and have it roll-off from 200 hz or lower?

Kind regards,

Kees
Old 25th July 2011, 09:45 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

how large exactly? area / volume if not standard ceiling height / slope etc.

with low frequency support at XO frequencies appropriate to the room, a pair of Alpair 7s per side should be able to satisfy most (sane) musical listening requirements

of course it's possible to size a sealed enclosure for a full range driver to provide acoustical roll-off at a chosen frequency, but it wouldn't necessarily yield the best results at the low extent the driver's pass-band - if at all possible, I'd suggest you consider passive line level XO and active bi-amping
Old 25th July 2011, 10:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That is quite the room mode. I'd go sealed with both the sub and Alp7s. Eq that huge mode out of the 40 to 80hz range from the sub.
Old 26th July 2011, 09:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

My room is 60 square meter (aprox 640 square feet) and 2.6 m high (8.5 feet).

So it will be sealed enclosures and an active subwoofer with EQ. Maybe I'll use a Minidsp for this.

Thanks for your help.
Old 26th July 2011, 09:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

No idea where that frowning smiley came from. How do I get rid of that?
Old 26th July 2011, 09:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

What frowning smiley?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 26th July 2011, 11:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

In the title "Help needed"

Hide this!Advertise here!