help needed: Alpair 7 in a large room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to build an Alpair 7 project (Twin Alpair 7 DBR or GR dMar-Ken7) with a subwoofer. I have a large room. That's why I was thinking of the Twin Alpair 7 (Higher SPL). No earthshaking levels requirered. No home cinema use.

The problem I face is room gain. With my current small 2 way BR monitor I made this measurement on listening position (10 feet). Speakers are close to the wall and one is in a corner.

in room 10 feet.jpg

I'm thinking of a Full range + Sub. So my plan is to have an equalized sub and full range main speakers without filtering/EQ. I assume that I have more control over the bass with a sub, because I have more options for room placement and EQ. The position of the main speakers is fixed (after years of negotiations with my wife). I have some more freedom in placing the sub (a marginal result, but it could turn out to be enough).

To have more control over the low frequencies, what is the best solution:
1. Should I go for sealed enclosures instead of BR?

2. Is it possible to design a full range with sealed enclosure without any filtering, and have it roll-off from 200 hz or lower?

Kind regards,

Kees

how large exactly? area / volume if not standard ceiling height / slope etc.

with low frequency support at XO frequencies appropriate to the room, a pair of Alpair 7s per side should be able to satisfy most (sane) musical listening requirements

of course it's possible to size a sealed enclosure for a full range driver to provide acoustical roll-off at a chosen frequency, but it wouldn't necessarily yield the best results at the low extent the driver's pass-band - if at all possible, I'd suggest you consider passive line level XO and active bi-amping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.