Help/suggestions for Lowther C45

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, all!

Im finally going to do something with my stashed away Lowther C45s. Most
of the builds I´ve seen is with a low end support, either an OB or FLH+basshorn/sub.

Since I´m mostly going to use them with old jazz, swing, blues vinyl and 78rpm, I don´t care that much about the low 40-50Hz.

I found Lowther Americas "Alerion", wich appealed to me a lot. But there has to be even better solutions around?

Any ideas? Thanks

/John

Well, assuming the specs are fairly accurate, which historically hasn't been the case for Lowthers, then driven with a matching impedance amp, a somewhat truncated BLH with a ~75 Hz Fc and ~33 Hz Fp would be my choice.

A much simpler build would be a 'BIB' pipe horn, though you may need to put them in corners to get enough loading to protect them below Fs.

GM

Hi,

I've used the C45 in Alerions and in OB. Nice little driver. I presonally preferred the OB with 12 inch bass support, crossed AT ABOUT 250HZ WITH SERIES FILTER.

It worked quite well this way. The Alerions were nice, but somewhat compromised for me.

Hmm.. Well, I know where to get à cheap pair of Eminence Beta 15 for an OB.. Since there seem to be very few, proven designs around for the c45, it might be the best solution. Dont want to spend many hours of building time on something I dont know if I can live with.

The betas have a 99 db sensitivity, while the c45 docs states 93 (approx). Don't know how much the lowthers rise above 200-250hz..??

What about the 12 you used?

Hmm.. Well, I know where to get à cheap pair of Eminence Beta 15 for an OB.. Since there seem to be very few, proven designs around for the c45, it might be the best solution. Dont want to spend many hours of building time on something I dont know if I can live with.

The betas have a 99 db sensitivity, while the c45 docs states 93 (approx). Don't know how much the lowthers rise above 200-250hz..??

What about the 12 you used?

I've used several (R.Allan, Supravox, etc.). 99db sounds just right since you get a 6db baffle step (loss of efficiency) in open baffles. Both drivers, if you cross-over at the baffle step frequency (according to width of the baffle), should get a pretty even overall response of about 93db.

I would suggest you use the suggested crossover for OB over at the lowther-america (9dot) com website. It workes quite well.

Enjoy!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.