Full Range plus Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I too was suspicious of the peak near 5khz, but the crossover is rolling and already down 6db @ 5khz (where the 4ohm has a resonance). Run wide open, I'll have to get back to you. That peak won't be as bad 10' away due to the lack of dispersion.

The reviewer liked the dm945, and I'm sure there were a few drivers listened to b4 choosing this driver. The wool driver is smooth sounding and build quality / heft is awesome. I'd call it a costco, not the cheapest but sometimes great for the money.

Does it sound as good as it look ?

Well, it looks like junk to me (the setup). I found my old box with sand filled double walls in the garage. So I added some pillow fill and started listening. I've wanted to retry an early love of a pioneer b20 with the same piezo, same crossover years ago. Most of the time when I revist early fav's, my ear has become more picky since then.

I'd recommend the 8's. I can't say to run wide open and ghost in a tweet, but get a little off axis and that spike at 5khz should be really knocked down. Crossed at 2khz, it'd be perfect, but not much bass. Once I get the tested specs, I'll get a proper box to get the most out of the bass. Due to the lack of bass, I'd go for the flatter 6.5" flute, the shielded one used in the gemme audio tanto. I'm thinking of ordering a few.

Right now, my setup is just another setup that I have to listen try. Watching 2 episodes of "carnivale" season 2, intelligibility and ultimate crispyness is better than my klipsch rb75, but I also have a bit less bass. I don't believe that the qts is around .2, but it may be between .25 and .3. And crossing the piezo above its resonance makes for ultrafine detail and texture of warble on singing. It failed my acid test of intelligibility using "Big times in a small town", a small recording at a coffee house at Martha's Vineyard. One of the opening lines to one of the acapella songs is a guy singing "I was minding my own business with a mug of herbal tea." Mug and herbal are tough words. My dual bamboo (and 4 focused array) really nails this. With the 5khz crossover point, mug came out but herbal was really lost. But I do like it better than my rb75's.

Norman

8" Paper Cone Woofer Speaker with Foam Surround

Here's a closeout sale 8" woofer that's 90db eff... but only goes out to 3khz... if you are willing to cross at 2k it could be an option.

JAMO 20418 8" Treated Paper Cone Woofer

This sounded good to me wide open with a piezo coming in around 10khz but missing some upper mids for sure... you might like its warm sound overall but the tweeter needs to be crossed lower. I thought the Jamo was a fair deal overall (for under $10) and i will use them for another project one day in the future. Their Euro look and feel makes it feel like you're building something more expensive.

Ah, I found that flea in the ointment. I ran the driver (4ohm) wide open with a 10 band eq. Track 4 off the first glee collection "Take a bow", one of my wife's favs. I'd call it a glare, maybe a snarl up high. It's probably that 5db peak near 5khz. It is definitely a resonance, not just a peak. You can't run this driver wide open by itself with eq, music gets confused and strained quickly.

It is definitely in breakup mode past 1-2khz (um, yea, it's an 8", duh). Resolution is sketchy there. The review of the dm945 mentions some of this as an upper midrange glare. That sounds about right. With the way the dm945 has the ribbon, I think the energy wants to go through the lower impedence ribbon instead of the increasing impedence of the woofer, so I think that peak wouldn't be as bad.

So, run it wide open with a single capped tweet (supertweet), I'm not so sure. Some have said that a notch filter robs a driver of some transparancy / magic. Seeing how weak the bass is (strong magnet), I think I'd go for the flatter graphed 6.5" shielded now on sale for $24 at madisound (like the gemme audio tanto). For me, this 8" 4ohm driver is going to be crossed at 2khz to jbl 2407/2408/bms driver with either the mcm 6.5" round horn (54-580) or either of 2 other horns my buddy was supposed to listen to yesterday. At least I got the driver in a box already (usually my biggest problem).

Norman

>>> wonder how these would sound with 3" fullrange? with simple cap?

Maybe an 8" with less extension into the mids would work better for that. But it's a good idea for a simple box speaker or even an open baffle design. I built a small open baffle system for my 11 year old using simple 8" ceiling speakers on a baffle around 12" x 12" propped up on his shelf and a sealed powered sub, invisible in the corner under his desk. He loves it! But you can use a 3" or just about anything else that will get down to around 250hz without strain.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=309-050&FTR=8"%20full%20range%20ceiling

A great cheapo full ranger for open baffle (and sealed cab too) that sounds pretty good when a sub is added. Smooth enough and musical if only a little 'whispy' sounding. Perfect for background music.

hi Norm - straight out of the box on a cool day, my Silver Flute 8" had qts 0.37 and fs about 40Hz. On axis there's decent response to past 4Khz, off axis it rolls off above 2KHz. Its about 3dB less sensitive in the midrange than the little Faital 4FE30.

that trams is so small compared to the cutout that its tough to mount in my little Karlson-type - it would take silicon RTV to do it right.

a generic crossover plus wrong ohm pad doesn't give the best summation but the Silver Flute is pretty good - a bit round on the bass (a de-Q-ing hole in the reflector would probably help) - its on one channel of a Drivecore xls 2000 (375 watt rating) - it won't do rap but that takes a big Karlson. It could do jazz fine with pretty good punch. The K-tube is excellent in sound.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.