Full Range plus Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ahhh Memorys.
I am just in the process of putting the FE207 and FT17 in an open baffle with two Alpha 15A's per side, as the Curvy Changs are too tall for the living room. I am using the U-frame not the H though to keep size down.
I have played with sveral 'full range' designs FE166 (BLH, OB), FE207 (Curvy Chang, soon OB) and prefer both with the FT17 tweeter, it just adds a bit of sparkle and brightness for the top octave.

Did somthing similar with the FE166's in a BLH, only didn't hav the horn on the front.
The picture in #8 braught back memories those halcyon summer holiday when I built those CC's

Attachments

• marce-curvychang.jpg
    marce-curvychang.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
>>> I don't know about 'sexy' but it's simple enough; just stuff an Eminenence Legend B102 in a suitable vented alignment, stick a ribbon... Job done...

No, not sexy but a good full ranger in a suitable box plus super tweeter works for me :)

>>> I am just in the process of putting the FE207 and FT17 in an open baffle with two Alpha 15A's per side, as the Curvy Changs are too tall for the living room. I am using the U-frame not the H though to keep size down.

I think you will have an excellent system but think it's interesting going open baffle to cut down on size, lol. I'd build the exact same system btw.

lets see, the silver flute 8" from madisound (4 ohm one(, the 6" measures much flatter but you lose a good amount of cone area (214cm2 vs. 132cm2) .

The tweeter could be a hivi rt1c (5ohms).

The 8" loses hf off axis above 2khz, think i'd read that it doesn't sound good past 2khz. There is that 5db peak near 5khz to deal with, and some baffle step always helps.

Here is chad gray's project using the 8ohm silver flute.
ChadGray.info

and more stuff on the flute.

Then again, getting a flat measuring 8" (not poly) is a tough act to find. There are some really nice 8", but they are not cheap and/or measure scary.

The 8" dynavox looks nice (4" coil, shorting ring for $100) as does the fostex Fostex FW208N (flat measuring but not cheap at $200).

Norman

who knows..............

But those Raal's ain't cheap. That's probably the one for $655 each at madisound. And who knows about the 8" custom tang band driver. To me the tranny line looks way too short. I'd call it a dipole seeing as there is an up firing driver also (free baffle step with much less front wall bounce to mess up imaging). If you do a search for the loudspeaker, it mostly shows up on luxury luxury websites. That's ok, we can do very similar for much lower cost, especially if we make the boxes (I don't).

Anyone have graphs on the dynavox 8" ? It looked scary on the partsexpress site. Most 8" look scary past 1khz. I think the silver flute is going to be the easiest to work with. I've also seen people say that the silver flute is in full breakup past 1-2khz. Eventhough it measures well, it probably doesn't sound as good as a smaller mid driver in that range. But hey, a 2-way with an 8" to be run wide open with a supertweet is a tough one, especially without a whizzer.

Norman

Never heard the silver flute woofers but i do enjoy those cheapo piezos. I noticed the TB frame too and would rather have the white cone and whizzer that comes with it stock... and then i'd roll in that piezo... as for the expensive ribbon... i'll pass (never heard a pair and don't even want too... bc then i might want to buy them).

I bet what Norman's built sounds pretty darn good. Hey Norm, should i buy a pair of silver flutes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.