Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2013, 06:05 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Tim,

I hope the neighbours didn't find any chicken bones in their garden like the last time you did a BBQ in Cambridge....
I don't remember that. I never did a BBQ - it was you. I was merely there for company and ensure the free-flowing of wine.

The infinite bafflement installation is in Stoupa, Greece. It would be less practical in a colder climate. How much are you prepared to sacrifice for sonic purity?
Old 28th February 2013, 09:12 PM   #62
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Indeed ! - the sonic purity increases when the wine is free-flowing

The only Open Baffle I made was called Apollo (there's a thread around here somewhere) and the main limitation I found was that I wanted to place the cone more or less at listening height because of the narrower dispersion of the treble. This meant that it was a fair way off the floor and this hurt the bass.

My current thinking is to improve the bass by reducing the back wave, so it's not really a dipole anymore, but still without a closed box which might affect the sound. Anyhow I've been wanting to try the "Boffle" (I can't find a link for this right now will have to add one later) - may be you'd be interested in the concept too. What I have now is a different driver in a different baffle, but it's been made like an open back box instead of a baffle. The Boffle concept then adds some sound absorbing curtains behind the driver. The idea, as far as I understand it, is it reduces the back wave without adding a 'boxiness' to the sound. I haven't got around to trying it yet though.

p.s. I love the in-wall speakers. I don't think I'd be allowed to do that though.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 28th February 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 28th February 2013, 10:40 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

haha! Glad to hear it went well. I picked up this thread because I'm interested in the cheapo 10" Soundlab speakers to put in boxes for an eight-way surround system (aka acousmonium) and I wanted to see what experience others had with them. So I'm encouraged, although the timber cost is likely to outpace the driver cost.

Hide this!Advertise here!