Saburo question: internal damping - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2011, 09:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Saburo question: internal damping

I've almost finished building a pair of Saburos. Lord, have they taken a long time to get this far! I am about to glue the final side on. I'm just wondering, from comments seen elsewhere, whether I ought to put some sort of high frequency damping material inside the thing, perhaps in the compression chamber, before I glue it all up. It would be much easier to do this now with the side off rather than try and do it through the driver hole afterwards. Any opinions on what's best?
Old 10th July 2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Account disabled at member's request

Air cavity / low-pass chamber. The room is the compression chamber in back-horns (well, 99.999% of them at any rate. )

Damping tends to be rather dependent upon the rest of your system (primarily the amplifier & room), to say nothing of personal taste. Generally, lining the chamber with 1/2in felt or similar, or adding a small amount of stuffing is a reasonable starting point.
Old 10th July 2011, 05:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Scott,

I have some ordinary tailors' felt, but nothing like half inch thick. Any ideas for suppliers? Wilmslow Audio sell some damping materials including BAF wadding (whatever that is), lambswool and various foam constructions, but not felt.

Am I right in thinking that the felt will just attenuate the high end? Or is its purpose primarily to stop reverberation?

Hide this!Advertise here!