Dual horizontal EL70 + tweeter? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2011, 06:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dual horizontal EL70 + tweeter?

Guys,

The EL70 was recently recommended to me by the forum admin for a situation where I need lots of vertical and horizontal response due to extremely poor mounting location of the speakers (below ear level and off to the side).

I've hesitated because I have no experience with full-range speakers. But, because of my physical mounting limitations (height = less than 10" max) and off-axis response needs and dynamic capabilty, I keep coming back to the EL70's.

The two things that make me hesitate are lack of tweeter and not being sure about their dynamic capability for this large room.

So tell me, is it possible to succesfully pair two EL70's per side, horizontally mounted, with an inexpensive tweeter that also has great off-axis capabilty? If so, what tweeter would be suggested?
Would this baffle layout be the way to go for this two way? And is 10k hz the recommended crossover for this setup?

This is for pop music & home theater.

EL70's:
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=EL70
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled2.jpg (23.4 KB, 207 views)
Old 5th January 2012, 07:30 PM   #2
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

While searching around for info on horizontal drivers I found this unanswered thread. If you're still interested CSS has their ert-26 tweeters for half price at $18pr! I'm interested in hearing opinions on horizontal drivers myself like two maeshows side by side.
Old 5th January 2012, 07:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The side by side arrangment is typically considered to provide some unfortunate comb filtering effects. Would not be excellent off axis.

(Yes I am aware that many commercial center channels are horizontal MTM designs. Doesn't change the acoustics)
Old 5th January 2012, 08:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the heads up, Jimbro.
I was really impressed with everything I read about this company's speakers.
I ended up going a different direction though, since the priority in this case was absolute SPL due to the room being so huge, vs. absolute sound quality.

I'd still like to try these speakers someday for my self though.
Old 5th January 2012, 08:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
The side by side arrangment is typically considered to provide some unfortunate comb filtering effects. Would not be excellent off axis.
This is what I read about also.
Old 5th January 2012, 08:57 PM   #6
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Eddie,

What about a bigger driver like Alp 10.2? Being aluminum cone probably dispersion will be better than the EL-70. Planet10 Classic Golden Ratio Ken boxes for A10.2 are around 11 inches wide - maybe Dave can help you adjust the dimensions a bit keeping volume and tuning same. If you still need a tweeter, you can add one later?
Old 5th January 2012, 08:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I think it's a bad idea

This is my favourite driver right now. Really hard to beat. But that arrangement playing up to 10khz and REQUIRED to sit off axis, is going to put a huge null in the upper frequencies somewhere (depends on geometry of listening position). Normally I say this driver has great high frequency extention, but in this case, I'd say it doesn't because you'll be off axis. They really do lose their extention when I sit up out of my LP or walk around the room.

As for dynamics... we just dealt with this on another thread with Rullknuf (spelling?). They're a full range driver. Something has to give. I think they're dynamic within their limits. But the limit can be found easily. I've listened to mine crossed to a sub at 80hz and my receiver set to -15db, and I can definitely hear things bunching up. Not crossed to a sub they really struggle. Mind you, that's only 1 EL70 per side, not 2.

Like I say, I love this driver, but you're asking it to do each of it's (only) weaknesses.

On the other hand, it does seem like you have a tough build there. Not sure what I'd suggest. You have 10" high, and how wide??? You could possibly fit a couple 8" crossed to a single 90db+ sensitive Foxtex or something. XO so low, the combing won't be a problem. Sensitivity so high, dynamics won't be a problem. Enclosure volume???
Old 5th January 2012, 09:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ahh, posted while you posted. Old thread
Old 5th January 2012, 09:36 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
Thanks for the heads up, Jimbro.
I was really impressed with everything I read about this company's speakers.
I ended up going a different direction though, since the priority in this case was absolute SPL due to the room being so huge, vs. absolute sound quality.

I'd still like to try these speakers someday for my self though.

out of curiosity, what did you land on for this application?

FWIW, as others have noted the EL70, EL166 and ERT26 are all excellent performers within their varying limits, but may not be available forever. Bob has some new drivers developed for him that don't exactly replace these ( ie. not "Full-Range" per se) - CSS the Next Generation - to be available sometime within the next month or so, I believe. VWR126X - wideband midwoofer, and LD25X dome tweeter - both XBL motor technology.

For anyone else sitting on the fence, the current special on the ERT26 at $18/pr is silly good price on a nice little tweeter, and there's a 2 way kit with the EL166/ERT26 XO, ports etc - everything but the box and stuffing - for $126 - rather a bargain.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sorry guys

The finished project is posted here:

Which 8" full range or coaxial for $150/less?

Hide this!Advertise here!