Jim Griffin A10.2 MLTL with variation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys! Just want to document my effort. Back in March, thanks to help from Dave P10-Hifi and Jim Griffin, I obtained plan for a MLTL for Alpair 10.2. I am not a carpenter so I have contacted Tony from Twins Audio to help me built the cabinets. I change the vents to sloted vents as my personal preference. Tony provided the A10.2, grills, and empty cabinets. I installed the damping materials, the grills, the binding posts, the cabinet bottom boards, and the drivers to finish the job. It is still breaking in with only 30 hours so far. Here are the photos.

Attachments

• SNC14216 - s.jpg
    SNC14216 - s.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,118
  • SNC14217 -s.jpg
    SNC14217 -s.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,081
  • SNC14221 -s.jpg
    SNC14221 -s.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • SNC14222 -s.jpg
    SNC14222 -s.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,011
Dear Jim,

Thanks for your comments.

The sound is opening up gradually and I have already noticed that the top and low ends have good extensions. I put my ear closed to the cabinets and found that there is may be just a bit of colouring from the back of the cabinets may be because of the fully opened back panels. I think I may have to add more damping materials to cover the back panels and the seams.

Overall, I am very, very pleased with the speakers and the cabinets. Thank you for sharing your plan. I can hardly wait for the speakers to be fully ran in.

Michael

Dear Mark,

I just read your comments on not running the drivers continuously on the other post!! I hope I haven't done any damages to the drivers because I was running them in overnight for 8-10 hours a time but at very low volume. I was originally thinking of running the drivers 24/7 but I was more concerned with my tube amp overheating more so than the drivers.

Just a thought. Do you think it would help to include an instruction sheet with your drivers with all the installation details, specifications of the drivers, and most importantly, the cautions?

Best regards,
Michael

I have always wanted to experiment with a front loading horn for the A10.2. After searches on the internet i found these. They are a pair of mid range horn that will fit a 5.5 inch driver. The tongue is removable.

Attachments

• SNC14496.JPG
    SNC14496.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 728
  • SNC14497.JPG
    SNC14497.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 93
  • SNC14498.JPG
    SNC14498.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 88
Here is the result. First listening experience with the horn is that all characteristics are magnified. More dynamics, more bass, more pronunced sound stage, more detail,.............well.........just more of everything!

Attachments

• SNC14511.JPG
    SNC14511.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 449
  • SNC14513.JPG
    SNC14513.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 435
  • SNC14509.JPG
    SNC14509.JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 406
  • SNC14515.JPG
    SNC14515.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 396
  • SNC14514.JPG
    SNC14514.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 401
Wow those are beautiful! Very interesting idea about front horn loading them. I bet it really helps out with directivity but does it make them too bright? They look REALLY cool! Any chance you can send me the plans or did you purchase them? I like how big they are. Bigger the better!!

Dear skeeter99, on the contrary, the horns made them less bright. As mentioned, everything became more and at the same time larger imaging. So, some of the brighter highs without the horn has now smoothen out with the horns. In general, a little more easier listening. The horns were purchased off the shelf from china.alibaba.com from a Guangzhou supplier and have them shipped to Hong Kong. There weren't any plans, I just improvised when installing the horns. By fitting the horns to removable grill frames, I can choose to listen with or without the horns on my Jim Griffin built.

Jazzkido, interesting experiment you got going there. Like Skeeter99 I though that the horns would mainly amplify mids and high and make the speakers overly bright. Wonder how this would apply to other designs...

Scott, good to see you posting again at the forum. Are the Alp 12s still in the Super Pensils or you building something else?

Jazzkido, interesting experiment you got going there. Like Skeeter99 I though that the horns would mainly amplify mids and high and make the speakers overly bright. Wonder how this would apply to other designs...

Scott, good to see you posting again at the forum. Are the Alp 12s still in the Super Pensils or you building something else?

I moved from Seattle down to Portland for work (got a promotion) so I've been busy getting my house ready for renters and getting a new townhouse. All settled in now and back to biz :D

My A12's are still in the SuperPensils that I STILL have yet to finish! LOL! Gotta make a center too, my system desperately needs one.

I'd be interested if the horns would help create a more defined "phantom center" with the Pensils? :confused:

Scott

Scott,

Congratulations on your promotion and good to know that you're now all set in Portland. Moving is never easy. :)

Talk about finishing... I haven't got to adjusting the damping in my Super Pensil's yet, though the Acoustastuf came about 2 weeks back! I've finished the Half Towers and my CHR-Kens and been playing the Half Towers for the past couple of days. Also in the process of doing 2 more builds. :)

For center I've read that the same driver as the fronts is advised for vocal purity. In that case you will need another Alp 12 for your center.

-Zia

Scott,

Congratulations on your promotion and good to know that you're now all set in Portland. Moving is never easy. :)

Talk about finishing... I haven't got to adjusting the damping in my Super Pensil's yet, though the Acoustastuf came about 2 weeks back! I've finished the Half Towers and my CHR-Kens and been playing the Half Towers for the past couple of days. Also in the process of doing 2 more builds. :)

For center I've read that the same driver as the fronts is advised for vocal purity. In that case you will need another Alp 12 for your center.

-Zia

Zia,

Thanks for the kind words, its been a good move overall.

Wow! Full plate! Sounds like a lot of fun!! Unfortunately I lost access to a good woodworking shop (was using my dad's) during the move so making new speakers will be MUCH more difficult now. I'd really like to do some FH3's though or maybe these Griffins for the A12. Fun to try out different enclosures with the same driver to see how it affects the sound.

I'm really waiting for an A12 center but its going to have to be SUPER thin due to my new listening environment and the way its arranged. We'll see what the guys come up with and how I can tweak it :)

Scott

Scott, we've chatted privately a bit about the A12 center, and you're aware why it'll be a week or so before you see anything "on paper".

All I'll add for the moment is that I used to be a fan of the phantom center (as much due to ergonomic considerations as anything), but after playing about with a new surround rig starting a few months ago, have definitely been converted. A high quality, discrete center channel speaker is very important, and in my opinion should be at least equal to the L&R mains - the (now up to 4?) surrounds can likely (or perhaps need to ) be "compromised" in most domestic situations without severe penalty.

Last edited:
Scott, we've chatted privately a bit about the A12 center, and you're aware why it'll be a week or so before you see anything "on paper".

All I'll add for the moment is that I used to be a fan of the phantom center (as much due to ergonomic considerations as anything), but after playing about with a new surround rig starting a few months ago, have definitely been converted. A high quality, discrete center channel speaker is very important, and in my opinion should be at least equal to the L&R mains - the (now up to 4?) surrounds can likely (or perhaps need to ) be "compromised" in most domestic situations without severe penalty.

Yup, no worries about waiting a week or so. I won't be buying anything till next month most likely I just like to get stuff figured out :D

I've never been a huge fan of a phantom center as I've had extremely good centers for a long time, my new setup makes having one of my previous centers completely impossible due to their size so I've sold them off and now am just going to wait for the "right" one :)

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.