Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2018, 09:24 AM   #551
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Its a near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator) :

http://www.music-line.biz/cms/filead...ovator_bmr.pdf
Anybody notice that there is something deceptive (fraudulent?) about Fig. 5 compared to Fig. 7?

0, 30, 60, 90......

B.
Old 28th May 2018, 09:37 AM   #552
silasmellor is online now silasmellor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Well fraudulent i dont know but its potentially misleading for sure. That said, their heatmaps summarize the same data and shows all 90 degrees in both cases.
Old 28th May 2018, 10:06 AM   #553
BYRTT is online now BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Ha ha sharp eyes there bentoronto, think they don't wan't us to look BMR out at 90 where directivity plot kind of predict response curve will look far from being smooth above 5kHz, so why not sneak in a 45 point and stop at 60 so to forget that 90 point : (

While dispersion is not bad for that BMR, coherency between the four angles above 2 kHz are not near as fine as the other they call typical 2-wayer, it looks way more diffuse.

Last edited by BYRTT; 28th May 2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 29th May 2018, 01:25 PM   #554
Overkill Audio is offline Overkill Audio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

IMO The Naim BMR was a good all round driver when used with DSP crossover and Eq but it never sounded quite right in its passive crossover guise.

Development was cut short due to cash flow problems at Naim and after Focal took over (Naim were close to going under) they decided not to continue with the restrictive licence Naim had to sell its version of BMR.

All water under the bridge, esp as all the BMR patents have expired or are about to expire within the next 12 months.
Maybe others will invest in the concept over the next few years.... Similar to the various AMT drivers with appeared after Oscar Heil's patents expired.
Old 30th May 2018, 09:40 AM   #555
Alvipet is offline Alvipet  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill Audio View Post
All water under the bridge, esp as all the BMR patents have expired or are about to expire within the next 12 months.
Maybe others will invest in the concept over the next few years.... Similar to the various AMT drivers with appeared after Oscar Heil's patents expired.
What do you think about these speakers http://audio-hi.fi/download/pdf/Tang...B_midrange.pdf ? Are they similar to BMR?
Old 30th May 2018, 11:53 AM   #556
Overkill Audio is offline Overkill Audio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Good driver over 400Hz to 10KHz band

I have not heard this driver but I have used a few TB drivers and I found them to be good value and well built.

This driver is not a BMR but looks good over the 400Hz to 10KHz band.
Its limited Xmax of 0.5mm means it will distort if asked to produce anything below 300Hz, assuming you want good SPL / dynamic range.

There is no data showing polar / off axis response so I would not count on it being anywhere near the performance of a good BMR.... If TB had managed to match / beat the BMR's at their own game they would be singing it from the roof tops!
Old 5th June 2018, 10:56 PM   #557
russ.will is offline russ.will  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've got a couple of CSS BMR85DD N4Y for sale on eBay.co.uk right now. If I'd had my brain in gear, I'd have listed them on here first. I inf anybody is interested, I'll stick them in the classifieds and pull them from eBay.

Russ
Old 5th June 2018, 11:21 PM   #558
zorz is offline zorz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ.will View Post
I've got a couple of CSS BMR85DD N4Y for sale on eBay.co.uk right now. If I'd had my brain in gear, I'd have listed them on here first. I inf anybody is interested, I'll stick them in the classifieds and pull them from eBay.

Russ
Id love to get them from you if we can work a deal - can you PM?

Near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator)Hide this!Advertise here!