Near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator) - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2012, 11:22 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Arcaydis/Accolade Audio will also be at the show, perhaps with their mini monitor featuring tiny bass mid and a low frequency crossover enabled by the use of small BMR as tweeter:
Model 1

Also Accolade branded Floorstanders:
Model 4 Specifications
Old 24th February 2012, 08:42 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Default Bristol show

Hi Rob,
I might pop down to Bristol on Sunday, well when I say pop down, its about 4 hours drive from Cambridge!
I used to love exhibiting at shows when I was selling the Ovekill range, esp the Encore... They really made people smile!
Its always difficult to judge a speaker at shows as the whole system and room acoustic is unknown and often compromised with high background noise...or my favourite show experience, some brochure collecting tech spec geek in the seat behind you talking all through your test track that you waited 20 minutes to get played!!
Cheers
Derek.
Old 24th February 2012, 08:50 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Derek,
That's popping with intent!
Maybe you will not be hearing any system at its absolute best but you can certainly get a flavour of many systems. It's always intriguing hearing the different concepts of what constitutes good sound. Seeing products in the flesh definately is a leveller and gets past the veneer of marketing and specsmanship.

Not exhibiting anything yourself should take some of the stress out of the event for you anyway!

Cheers
Rob.
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:21 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Default Group Buy Anyone?

Assuming we can actually find one from CCS or Hi-Wave, or do we sit tight and hope for PE to come through with the goodies. Has anyone contacted WA re the BMR situation? If not I'll give it a shot.

RC

I'm inclined to favour active drive in a TRK "like" design
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:50 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Default BMR availability

Hi guys,

I have not spoken to the guys at Wilsmlow for a few months, but back then they were talking about a RRP of approx 70.00 per 4.5 inch BMR ( the CSS design).
I have almost finished modeling a range of speakers from small desktop / bookshelf BMR models, all the way up to a 16 BMR per speaker line array.
I am getting some great comments from my local focus group ( fellow geeks and their wives!) both on sound quality and asthetics.
I am going to take the plunge next month and buy a large quantity of drivers and build a range of on wall, free standing, centre channel and desk top models.
This driver has great potential!

Cheers
Derek.
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:27 PM   #46
theJman is offline theJman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvert73 View Post
Assuming we can actually find one from CCS or Hi-Wave, or do we sit tight and hope for PE to come through with the goodies. Has anyone contacted WA re the BMR situation? If not I'll give it a shot.
Getting CSS to respond seems to be an exercise in futility; I've emailed them 3 times now, but haven't received a single reply. Guess that tells me all I need to know about them.

I do have a person at HiWave that I've been exchanging emails with for almost a year now. I'm being told the expected shipment of production units in 3.5" and 6.5" will be end of March. However, they've missed 3 previous ships dates so I'm remaining skeptical. I've tried several times to get pre-production units, but they've been reluctant to sell me any.

I should probably see if HiWave will be using PE as a distributor - I hadn't though of asking him that.
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:30 PM   #47
theJman is offline theJman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill Audio View Post
I have not spoken to the guys at Wilsmlow for a few months, but back then they were talking about a RRP of approx 70.00 per 4.5 inch BMR ( the CSS design).

So they're about $110USD? That's a little much for me. You're going to build a line array with drivers costing that much? You must make more $$ then I do...
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:30 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Default $60 BMR in USA

Hi Jman,
I think the BMR 's will be cheaper in the states.
Here in the UK Wilmslow are a small niche DIY supplier, no real volume and always the most expensive source of drivers.
If Parts Express get involved I would expect a US retail of $60 each with good discount on volume sales.
As a reference point, back in 2008 I bought 200 good quality 4.5 inch BMR's from the main NXT manufacturer in China for under $15 each!
Everyone is claiming that their particular version of BMR is special and worth big bucks, but the bottom line is any mass produced BMR ( or most cone / AMT / ribbon's etc ) can be mas produced at a low cost.

The CSS BMR is 225g of plastic, paper and a small magnet...not expensive BOM ( bill of materials) and assembly and test costs are minimal, low weight and small size = low shipping costs...So if anyone tries to rip off the public with silly high pricing its not too difficult to source a driver manufacturer with the capability to produce a good driver. NXT are very keen to high volume sales and they will not stand by and see licencee's maintain artificially high margins and restrict sales volume.
Currently there are several big boys looking at BMR licences and they are very much " stack em high sell em cheap" mind set!
BMR's are very good and are a great match with the new breed of low cost DSP crossovers / Eq and high quality class D power amps.
The main weakness is low efficiency and low power handling = modest max SPL's...So an array of 4, 8 or 16 drivers per speaker cures that and then some! Now we must have low driver costs if we are going to be using up to 32 drivers per pair of speakers.
Cheers
Derek.
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:20 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Hi Derek, well if your taking the plunge next month How about buying a few more than required, I,m looking for 4 units, (2spares!) I,m very interested in a wide dispersion driver as my wife is in a wheelchair and it would be just what the doctor ordered! With multiple units in a line array I think you'd have a pretty unbeatable product, for me it's active I was considering an Alpair 7 for this project.

Regards Robert
Old 3rd March 2012, 03:12 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Default Active BMR

Hi Robert,

I am happy to help out a fellow DIY er and your wife.
Once I get a load of BMR's in I will let you know. Pls PM me in about 6 weeks, I should have a more solid eta for the drivers.
I wont be a retail source of BMR's in the UK as that is more Wilmslow Audio's bag, I am only interested in building a range of BMR based speakers that will have mass market appeal.
They will all be fully active designs with DSP crossovers & Eq, very high WAF with curvy sealed cabinets in some very cool colours and finishes, and matched with custom bass / mid drivers to handle the low midrange and bass.
I have had "Rainforest Audio" on the back burner for a couple of years and now with Hypex / Ncore / and their upcomming DSP / crossover products there is at last a high end alternative to DEQX.
DEQX is a stunning piece of kit but simply way to expensive for mass market. Hypex will be close for quality but way more competitive on cost.
The BMR needs and deserves good DSP as any passive crossover I have heard with BMR's is the bottle neck....Not the driver!
Cheers
Derek.

Hide this!Advertise here!