Near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator) - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2013, 01:51 AM   #121
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

Very interesting development. Would love to hear them.
Nice work, Overkill Wallpaper.
Old 12th April 2013, 02:00 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Talking Felt baffle covers on

Overkill's own " Welcome to the Jungle " wallpaper!

I got the felt baffle covers on now, also got nice foamy rubber stuff on the rear panel so the are cushioned for hanging on the wall.

Still to finish the ply wood sides, cant decide between gloss black or gloss white...Got to think of that wallpaper!
Cheers
Derek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LA16 unfinished 12 03 13 002.jpg (844.1 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg LA16 unfinished 12 03 13 003.jpg (684.4 KB, 551 views)
Old 12th April 2013, 11:28 PM   #123
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Bamboo wallpaper would set them off nicely!

GM
Old 20th May 2013, 11:04 PM   #124
Studley is offline Studley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Derek
Any update on the kits or listening impressions from others?
Old 21st May 2013, 12:38 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Default Listening impressions so far

Hi Studley,

Yes and no!

Listening tests are done really, everyone who has heard them is knocked out. Even ex Overkill customers and guys who have had many hours with my previous gear and other high end systems cant believe the sounds comming out of these speakers.

The kits will have to wait a bit longer as I have taken deposits for 3 pairs of finished LA 16's and 4 LA 9's...It takes me about 45 hours to assemble the 16's and about 30 hours for the LA 9's and that does not include the three days of collection / delivery / collection from joiners to spray finishing guys and back here.

Also I only have enough drivers left for two more pairs of 16's.
I need to finish all the speakers, get the other half of the money and then order another batch of drivers.

You are welcome to come and have a listen, I have a pair of LA 16's in a two channel set up plus a pair of LA 8's with a sub and rear BMR speakers in a nice home cinema rig...Its quite an experience!

Cheers
Derek.
Old 21st May 2013, 08:32 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Derek
Whereabouts are you?
Also, why is it LA9 rather than 8?
Ian
Old 21st May 2013, 10:46 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Default Efficiency and impedence

Hi Ian,

We stay just 10 minutes from the St Neots Junction off the A1, so its almost a straight road to you!
Reason for choosing LA 9 over the 8 driver version is efficiency:

Each BMR is 4 Ohms, and an average of 86dB for 1 watt @ 1 meter.

I wire them in parallel / series groups,( 4 groups of 2 Ohms in series ) so 8 drivers result in an 8 Ohms impedence with a 92dB sensitivity.

9 drivers can be wired as 3 groups of 1.33 Ohms resulting in a 4 Ohm load ( well 3.9 Ohm's to be exact) but with a 95 dB for 1 watt @ 1 meter sensitivity.

I can also do a special SET / valve amp version with 10 or 12 drivers to give an ideal 10 or 12 Ohm load with a high sensitivity of around 94dB for 1 watt @ 1 meter.

All the best
Derek.
Old 21st May 2013, 11:04 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Derek
Straight roads indeed, but also quite long ones! I might be able to contrive a work trip to Milton Keynes and combine it with a visit to yours. Might be a few weeks.
As someone who currently uses ESLs I am having difficulty imagining what a speaker that backs onto a wall sounds like.
Ian
Old 21st May 2013, 11:10 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

PS. Given the choice I'd choose an 8 ohm load with 92db over a 4 ohm load with 95 db
Old 21st May 2013, 11:54 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Default Long roads...

Hi Ian,

Yea its a few hours even with no traffic issues.
The sound of most wall mounted speakers is usually pretty crap, this is because most wall mounted speakers are "point source" designs which have been designed as stand mount or floor stander but simply stuck on a wall bracket to get them off the floor....Convienience rather than design.

I have designed the LA range specifically to be wall mounted ie they benefit from the wall / floor / celing boundry reinforcment rather than suffer from it!
The BMR 's very broad and even on and off axis performance is particularly suited to both line aray and wall mounting.

One key definition of a true line array is that the total height of the drivers radiating area ( assumming tight edge to edge driver spacing) is equal to or greater than 75% of the floor to celing height of the room they are used in.
Basically the taller the better as this generates a true coherent "cylindrical wave front" and not just a group of individual "point sources" which interfere with each other.
Also taller ( more drivers) = lower distortion & higher sensitivity.

The overall sound is simply closer to real instruments rather than closer to any other type of loudspeaker.
The flat, ultra light driver cones have the kind of speed and low energy storage associated with ribbons or stats, but they have the kind of slam and dynamics of big Pro drivers ie the LA 16 has greater driver area than my 15 inch Precision Devices bass / midrange units and equals the astonishing percussive impact of the PD drivers.

The end product is a unique combination of super fast acceleration / deceleration, very low distortion even at high SPL's and natural room filling dispersion over 180 degrees with no worries about where to place the speakers or set up problems...Whats not to like?!!

Nothing is perfect though, they really are a pain to build...
32 drivers with 64 joints terminals to connect, plus a complex wiring harness, 32 individual driver chambers to line / stuff with three different damping materials, 64 gaskets to cut and fit, 128 screws to fix the drivers and 32 perfect circles to cut out of the baffle felt... Then paint or veneer!

All the best
Derek.

Hide this!Advertise here!