Near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator) - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2012, 06:17 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds21 View Post
I actually have these coming, they should be here today
...and? How are they?
Old 11th February 2013, 10:34 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Default Got em at last, the latest Neo 4.5 inch BMR's!

Hiya,

I finally got the delivery from China...What a hassle with imports nowadays, not just import and VAT but EORI register as well...
Anyway I have the latest "Goldielocks" version to compare to my 4 year old Shinhint version.
Initially looks promising with very open rear chassis and nice foam balances on rear of honeycomb cone.
Same Sd (85mm flat diameter) as before, but with front surround rather than rear surround. 112mm square chassis which is only 45mm deep including the roll surround.
I am getting a new pair of cabinets CNC'd, should be ready in about 3 weeks, it will take me that long to prepare the 32 driver ( 16 per cabinet) wiring harness and make the 64 solder joints to the drivers...
I will post some pics of the drivers later this week, cabinets next month.
PM if you guys are still up for a group buy.

Cheers
Derek.
Old 5th March 2013, 03:01 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Some of the early NXT patents must be close to expiry now.
Old 5th March 2013, 10:52 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Default Patents. NXT, Hi Wave, soon to new MBO company.

NXT, now HiWave soon to be new company as per last months " Shares suspended notice " ie another MBO about to take place have always been an IP led company.
They constantly renew, update, adapt and modify their patents ( at great expense) to keep licence value in them, without that they are nowhere as they have never managed to build and sell any finshed products profitably.

Once the next MBO is completed they will be looking to finally make some profit from licence deals, so you can be sure the good patents have plenty of life / value left in them.
Cheers
D.
Old 5th March 2013, 11:08 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

You cannot renew patents. You get new ones which are the old one with"extras", but these are not as strong in court, as the old one is listed as prior art
Old 5th March 2013, 11:32 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Default BMR patents

I havn't read any of their BMR patents, but I know Chris Ellis who is named on one of the original NXT patents from about 5 years ago, its still got plently of life / value in it for sure.
So far no other company has managed to circumvent the patents so maybe "the extra's" are still strong too?
I do one thing for sure the 4.5 Neo magnet BMR is a great driver for on wall line arrays.
The smaller BMR's are got good, ie Cambridge Audio use the crappy little 2 or 3 inch driver and its very low fi.

Cheers
Derek.
Old 6th March 2013, 03:53 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

thats a shame. I wouldve expected a decent attempt from Cambridge Audio.
Old 6th March 2013, 10:39 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Take any cheap driver, 6 inch ( or smaller) MDF cube and maybe a passive component or two, assembled in China and add 5% for shipping and insurance, all in 10 /$15 landed in UK or USA.

Sell it to a distributor for 20 to 25, he sells to dealers for 40 to 50, they sell it to retail customer for 80 to 100 plus VAT = 96 TO 120 per speaker.
In audio minimum commercial margins are 10 fold, usually nearer 20 fold from manufacturer, distributor, dealers then retail customer.

This is why ANY 200 per pair of any commercial manufacturer's loudspeakers sound crap, you are buying 10 to 15 worth of materials and labour...A 200 DIY budget will sound good if done correctly, because you are building something that would retail at over 2,000.

Stupid high end cables usually carry 100 fold margins, DAC's & electronics clad in exessive 50Kg alloy cases also carry " you pay for the price" margins.

Maybe Cambridge Audio will attempt a more upmarket BMR speaker in the future, Naim and Rega have done ok, but the Naim's ( 4K and 6K) are so overpriced they will never sell in any volume.

Cheers
Derek.
Old 7th March 2013, 08:22 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Would these drivers lend themselves to a line array lets say 2 meters tall. Run full range with that many drivers and some DSP would they produce low end?
Old 8th March 2013, 10:31 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Default 1.85 meter tall, BMR line array

Hi Thomas James,

Yes they would indeed!!

I am working on a 1.85 meter tall, on-wall line array using 16 4 Ohm BMR's per channel, wired in 4 by 4 to give a 4 Ohm load with a genuine 100dB for 1 watt ( 2.83 volts) sensitivity.

If all goes well I am going to offer DIY Kits, I now have the drivers in stock and the first pair of cabinets will be ready soon.

The attached is an array with just 8 BMR's per channel and it is a great performer.

I have demo'd them to various groups of people and they loved them, I also ran them at last months Bristol HiFi show (on the Sunday) with the AVA Media digital amp being fed from my lap top running JRiver 18 with JPlay.
100% positive feedback, including 2 reviewers, one ( print magazine) requested the first UK review if we go into production...
Re your question about DSP and low end, so far I have tested up to 8 drivers per channel.
For critical listening with two channel music, the 8 drivers / ch need a bit of Eq help from the JRiver Eq, not too much, just a 9KHz notch and then some boost above 12KHz and a few dB boost below 70 Hz. I actually use the parametric Eq the most with just a little bit of graphic Eq, its really great and has no sonic penalty as the JRiver software is already running the music.

For Home Cinema you can just run the BMR's flat, no Eq or tweeking, simply add a sub woofer below 90Hz and the system blends beautifully, speech inteligibilty is fantastic.
Once I have the big 16 driver speakers built up I will post some more pics and results. I have not been this enthusiastic about a driver / speaker since 2004 when I first started using the Manger driver....When used in a line array, the 4.5inch Neo magnet BMR is that good.

Cheers
Derek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas Eve 2012 ..Hogworts! 033.jpg (348.9 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg Christmas Eve 2012 ..Hogworts! 093.jpg (305.7 KB, 502 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!