Just got a pair of FF225WK's - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2011, 03:27 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Tom,

I like them. They have a nice smooth sound, particularly with a bit of DSP. Good bottom end, better than the FE207E. Lacking on the top. Once I get off of a couple of other projects, I intend to mate the 225WK with the FT17H.

(I have had very poor luck using a tweeter with a full-range running wide open. I am convinced that this will only work with a proper XO on both drivers. If I get lucky, I think that I can roll off the 225WK 3rd order with a single inductor. If not I do it a proper 2nd order XO ~6kHz. That is a comfortable place to cross the FT17H anyway and it is probably not too high to get a decent off-axis power bandwidth given that the FT17H is horn loaded.)

I have lived with the 225WK's for a while now and they do a credible job with most classical, jazz and girl-and-a-guitar. They work on classic rock up through Pink Floyd and the like. Much heavier and you shouldn't be running full-rangers anyway. With an Xmax of 2.25mm, there is plenty of room for bass EQ, so they sound pretty stout, although I brickwall them at 30Hz.

Give them a try!

Bob
Old 11th October 2011, 03:59 AM   #12
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Bob Brines, anything to add or change to you impression of these drivers from ~2 months ago?

I also acquired a pair and got similar results for out of box parameters and response. Mine reside in Karlson "SK8".

Click the image to open in full size.

They do quite well in there. HF is lacking though; I currently use some EQ at 20kHz and it helps nicely, but will look to implement a super-tweeter solution.

IG
Old 11th October 2011, 12:09 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG81 View Post
Bob Brines, anything to add or change to you impression of these drivers from ~2 months ago?
IG
Mostly with regards to "break-in", if any, thanks.

IG
Old 11th October 2011, 04:35 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG81 View Post

IG
I never have thought that Fostex drivers take a lot of breaking-in. 100hr or so max. Maybe just me, but I think that longer break-in periods are more becoming comfortable with the sound.

Anyway, nice bass and mid-range. Definitely needs a tweeter, much more so than the FE207E. Because of the bump in the FR near 3kHz, an XO is a problem. I finally decided to let the 225 run wide open and cross an FT17H at 4kHz second order. Use a BSC filter and/or a zobel to contour things to your taste.

Bob
Old 11th October 2011, 05:13 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I heard about the FE series requireing a certain period of break-in, but never had these myself. I'll probably have to willingly drive the FF225WK hard in the Karlson to produce enough excursion to workout the suspension elements.

Regarding the ~3kHz bump, that's nothing next to the one on AD9710, inherent of it's straight-sided cone AFAIK.

IG
Old 11th February 2012, 05:43 AM   #16
jay53 is online now jay53  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
Tom,

I like them. They have a nice smooth sound, particularly with a bit of DSP. Good bottom end, better than the FE207E. Lacking on the top. Once I get off of a couple of other projects, I intend to mate the 225WK with the FT17H.

(I have had very poor luck using a tweeter with a full-range running wide open. I am convinced that this will only work with a proper XO on both drivers. If I get lucky, I think that I can roll off the 225WK 3rd order with a single inductor. If not I do it a proper 2nd order XO ~6kHz. That is a comfortable place to cross the FT17H anyway and it is probably not too high to get a decent off-axis power bandwidth given that the FT17H is horn loaded.)

I have lived with the 225WK's for a while now and they do a credible job with most classical, jazz and girl-and-a-guitar. They work on classic rock up through Pink Floyd and the like. Much heavier and you shouldn't be running full-rangers anyway. With an Xmax of 2.25mm, there is plenty of room for bass EQ, so they sound pretty stout, although I brickwall them at 30Hz.

Give them a try!

Bob
Hi Bob,

I am building Metronome Speakers using Fostex 225WK & FT17H. Would appreciate hearing your experience on Cross Overs that you were contemplating of trying.

Thanks!

Jay
Old 28th March 2012, 12:25 PM   #17
Debaser is offline Debaser  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Bob (or anyone else with suggestions),

I just built my first ever pair of speakers. The Ceinwyn Chang horn for the FE168EZ. Though they are still unsanded/unpainted I have listened to them with and without stuffing and I'm only moderately happy with the sound. They seem a but thin in the treble and with too much stuffing in the box they sound empty in the bass too.

If I remove all the stuffing from the box it actually sounds fine in the low and mid range but the treble still bothers me.

I have heard that the Fostex drivers can actually lack top end. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm thinking of adding a simple small dome tweeter and crossing it over around 3-4kHz or maybe even higher.

Cheers!
Old 28th March 2012, 12:51 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Asian Ceinwyn Chang pics

Some photos of the ongoing Ceinwyn Chang build in Singapore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Debaser Ceinwyn1.jpg (889.9 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg Debaser Ceinwyn2.jpg (845.8 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Debaser Ceinwyn3.jpg (547.9 KB, 201 views)
Old 28th March 2012, 01:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Never had a 168ez. Most Fostex drivers can use a little help on top, but I would recommend against a dome tweeter. You should use a horn tweeter instead. Otherwise you will have a screwed up power response off axis.

Bob
Old 28th March 2012, 01:34 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. My friend whose workshop I've been using to build these said similar and swears by the coax horn tweeters in his Altec 604s (shown behind my Ceinwyns in the photo I posted.)

I'll do some more research before I buy something. Now I have the boring bit left to do. Sanding and painting.

Hide this!Advertise here!