Which 8" full range or coaxial for $150/less?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Side by side?
This combo speaks to my inner happiness.

Yeah, I think so...

Have the tweeter on the outer-most end, then the 6" right next to it. A simple 1st order series crossover and you're good. BTW, a simple series crossover helps to preserve dynamics as well due to the use of the least amount of components.

Then use one of those 12" subs sealed like I suggested and I think you'd have a really good sounding little system there.

If I had to choose between massive dynamics and off axis response, I would choose a middle ground. Lol

Can those 3-4" speakers do that?

I can't seem to find the Alpair 7 for sale anymore and that was smother recommendation.

A great "little" driver - my HT system runs 3 in the front row, crossed over to a pair of corner mounted woofers at 110Hz via the surround receiver's bass management processing There isn't a lot of critical music only listening on this system, and I've never noticed any artifacts from the "higher" XO point . IINM demand for the first production batch exceeded expectations and new stock of revised models is currently in transit to vendors.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/190401-alpair-7-gen-3-coming-soon-7.html#post2621311

Another great candidate that may already have been mentioned is the Tang-Band W5-1611 - get 'em while they last at the sale price.

Tang Band W5-1611SA 5" Full Range Driver

I personally could live with them sans tweeter, but if you find the need, there are any number of good candidates for under $25 each, which would still net under $150/pr. I haven't seen any detailed measurements of off-axis response, but from some brief listening recently, its HF rolloff appears benign enough that a simple HP to the tweeter would suffice.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If I had to choose between massive dynamics and off axis response, I would choose a middle ground. Lol

Can those 3-4" speakers do that?

I can't seem to find the Alpair 7 for sale anymore and that was smother recommendation.

Some of them do an amazing job, particularily if relieved of bass.

A7 has been sold out for awhile. I still have a few A7eN matched pairs, but both exceed your budget. A7.3 should be in US a bit before end July.

Have a look at Bob's Mark Audio built EL70. 2 pr would be just over budget, and with 2 pr and being bass monsters, relieved of bass can produce quite good dynamics. Also happier with budget amps than the A7 (which would show every blemish)

dave

[l]O | O[l]

Kind of like this IF that makes any sense. LOL

Yeah, I am digging this idea.
And it could run without sub for late night listening.

It's definitely something to think about, and the price is right! ;)

Well, according to my math, you're looking at over $100 per side for the MTMs by the time you allow for XO components. This is still not a crazy price, but at that budget a pair if the EL70 per side at which Dave hinted are within range, and punch way above their weight class.

The TB drivers are worth consideration as well.

Last edited:
Well, according to my math, you're looking at over $100 per side for the MTMs by the time you allow for XO components. This is still not a crazy price, but at that budget a pair if the EL70 per side at which Dave hinted are within range, and punch way above their weight class.

The TB drivers are worth consideration as well.

Nope, I'm talking about (1) midbass and (1) tweeter per side.

The things I can see with the 4" drivers is limited output and limited dynamics. They Dayton's on the other hand will be able to fill the room much easier with less work and power, which also means cleaner sound.

The 6" Dayton actually has less displacement. 680 for the pair vs. 903 for the quad pack of 4" full range.

But I'm concerned about having two 4" drivers side by side. Wouldn't that cause some sort of defraction or other audio issue?

How would the EL70's compare with the 5" Tang Band W5-1611SA 5" Full Range Driver quad pack (two on each side)? I think the price is the same.
Both are a bit more than I want to spend.
Edit: Dang, those W5's just went out of stock until the end of July. That's the second time a driver I've been interested in has gone out of stock!!!!

I really do like the idea of the 6" + Planar tweeter though. I've always wanted to see what those Dayton planars sound like.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How would the EL70's compare with the 5" Tang Band W5-1611SA 5" Full Range Driver quad pack (two on each side)? I think the price is the same.

I think that you my be quite shocked at the price of the neo magnet TB if it goes the same way as the other neo TBs have recently. If so, the $45 sale price could turn into a $130+ each price tag.

I do have 1611 here, Chris has had a chance to listen to them, i've not yet.

dave

I know, the pricing is crazy lately.
I was looking at some Tang Band subs recently. Normal price was $60 and they were on sale for like $35. Then two weeks or so later they were well over $100.

I have no doubt the price on these 5" will go up heavily within a few days.

Last edited:
Well, either way, it never said anything about the price being for the pair.

At any rate, a pair of these...

Dayton PK165-8 6" Professional Kevlar/Paper Cone Midrange

With a pair of these...

Dayton Audio PT2C-8 Planar Tweeter

Do you think this Tang Band woofer would match up well with the Planar in the way you're suggesting above, in place of the 6"? The Tang Band has 4x the displacement. :eek:
Other specs (at first glance) are similar.

Tang Band W6-789E 6-1/2" Woofer

Last edited:
Hmm, how about taking the best of each design and combining them?

Wide dispersion planar tweeters crossed over at 3k hz to a pair of vertical mounted 4" full range with high x-max, low fs and nice off-axis response? Crazy or do-able? :D

Planars:
Dayton Audio PT2C-8 Planar Tweeter

4mm Xmax 4" Full Range drivers:
Dayton Audio ND105-4 4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Driver 4 Ohm

Picture of proposed layout. And feel free to smack me around and say I'm not listening to you. :p
PLEASE say it won't work - it's killing my budget.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 434
Okay... It won't work ;-)
Off axis response of planar tweeters are far from the best.
Dayton Audio's much cheaper 3/4" tweeter will do even better.
I haven't tried the 4" ones, but I've got the 3" Aurasound drivers. They can be crossed as high as you want to, say 6-8kHz first order. But mind you, the resolution isn't really that great. For background music, they are wonderful, but if you want something "revealing", they won't do the job. Again you would like to take a look at the Scanspeak Discovery full range
. Cross them at around 200Hz to Peerless SLS or something like that and use that as passive sub.

What's more, we're in the "Full Range" page and I suspect it's better for us to focus on full range solutions. =]

Last edited:
I actually posted here to see if anyone would recommend the Fostex FE206En 8" full range. But I've learned some 8" don't have good off-axis response according to you guys.

I'm not crazy about the idea of a single 4" on each side.

With the relatively small physical separation of the enclosures implied in your first photo, and the large room and listening distances for non-critical listening, how significant would the off-axis response be?

Of the Fostex drivers, the FE166En or even new FF165WK might be better candidates. As the mains and woofer will be in such close proximity, I doubt that crossing over as high as into the 110-120 Hz range would be much of a problen in terms of localization, and should relieve the main drivers from excursion compression of dynamics and ultimate SPLs, which I'd think will benefit the large space.

Of course, there are still lots of possible driver combinations that haven't been discussed yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.