Which 8" full range or coaxial for $150/less? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2011, 06:04 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

I'm getting quite respectable SPLs from HT speakers using 9 3 1/2 Aura NS3 equivalents each that I have built, plus the overall cost/performance ratio is hard to beat. Each of the 8 speakers I am using will handle a 150 Watt amplifier without risk of damage and no driver has even bottomed out in several months of use run full range down to 25hz. Perhaps a rectangular array of this type of driver with angled panels for each column to aid horizontal dispersion is an option for this installation?
Old 30th June 2011, 06:45 PM   #52
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
Would the two 4's on each side require a filter?
Yes, the two 4's will fit vertically mounted.
No filter.

On a theoretical basis there is some worry about combing. In practise, not an issue unless you are extremely near-field (ie a couple ft or closer.

dave
Old 30th June 2011, 07:02 PM   #53
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

Charles: whatever else can be said about sealed bass enclosures - they certainly make for easy solutions to tricky installations such as CZ's project , in which I'd suspect getting the bass "right" will be the least of the problems
Hey Chris, I have nothing against either enclosure design. It just bugs the heck out of me when people say one is better than the other. They are BOTH equally good performers as long as they are designed properly.
Old 30th June 2011, 07:07 PM   #54
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoriated View Post
I'm getting quite respectable SPLs from HT speakers using 9 3 1/2 Aura NS3 equivalents each that I have built, plus the overall cost/performance ratio is hard to beat. Each of the 8 speakers I am using will handle a 150 Watt amplifier without risk of damage and no driver has even bottomed out in several months of use run full range down to 25hz. Perhaps a rectangular array of this type of driver with angled panels for each column to aid horizontal dispersion is an option for this installation?

Unless these constraints from the original post have been relaxed

Quote:

This room is about 3500-4000 cu.ft and leads to a kitchen and dining room, so probably more like close to 7000-8000 cu.ft. Pretty un-ideal. So I'm looking for best dynamics possible. We are NOT allowed to place the speakers anywhere other than the cubby holes.
the room volume and system location

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

do present an interesting challenge
Old 30th June 2011, 07:38 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

I HATE that they will not allow other placement. Especially after seeing how unobtrusive thoriated's killer "line array" looks,

But yes, we are stuck with the cubbyholes.

The EL70's are an interesting speaker. Been googling them.
Old 30th June 2011, 10:32 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Bose 901 style, but front firing & front ported?
Each side getting two rows of three or four each 3" aura NS3's? Total of twelve or sixteen drivers?
Old 30th June 2011, 10:59 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

I have to concede that even a total of 72 3-1/2 drivers probably won't give you hearing damage right away (I've got my Basement Blasters for that) - but they do get surprisingly loud when needed in my 17' x 27' x 10' HT area. Each of these HT speakers, using 9 drivers, has the equivalent radiating area of a 10-11" driver.

Quote:
Each side getting two rows of three or four each 3" aura NS3's? Total of twelve or sixteen drivers?
May be worth a try. With a higher LF cutoff point & a SW, you can probably get as much efficiency and output as you want with a multiples of a higher efficiency but lower Xmax alternative 3" - 4" driver angled for improved dispersion. If my HT speakers have a limitation in practice, it is that they will start sounding somewhat congested at very high output levels having heavy bass due to the long excursions. A tweeter would help here and with dispersion in general, but I decided not to use one largely because I wanted to keep speaker voicing as constant as possible across the full audio range for the NS3 knockoffs I used.

Last edited by thoriated; 30th June 2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 1st July 2011, 03:36 AM   #58
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
I have a pair of bipole speakers using the NS3. High SPL and bass heavy materials really make the sound congesting.

Another idea if you're not happy about the single 4" idea: use the 4", supported by a midwoofer, have the x-o at around 500Hz.
Old 1st July 2011, 04:21 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry for being such a flip-flopping PITA. You all have been very patient with my questions.

Quote:
Yes, the two 4's will fit vertically mounted.
I was thinking EL70's but mistaking them for a different 4" model.
Two EL70's will not fit vertically mounted. They are 4 7/8" tall, while my available exterior dimensions are:

8 7/8"H x 23 1/8"W x 25"D

Can two EL70's work side by side, horizontally mounted?
They appear to have really nice output when tuned to 49hz in a .75 cu3 cabinet.

http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/TheEL70Ported.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by borispm View Post
I have a pair of bipole speakers using the NS3. High SPL and bass heavy materials really make the sound congesting.

Another idea if you're not happy about the single 4" idea: use the 4", supported by a midwoofer, have the x-o at around 500Hz.
I like the idea, but that would need crossover work done and this isn't something I'm capable of designing on my own. If I did go that direction, then the "Overnight Sensations" combined with a midwoofer would be something I look into, provided it has good off axis response. Which I'm not sure if it does.

Last edited by CZ Eddie; 1st July 2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 1st July 2011, 04:55 AM   #60
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Can two EL70's work side by side, horizontally mounted?
Will be fine.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!