Budget Fullrange speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I want to build speakers with fullrange driver responsible for mid and high field up to 8 inches in size.

Because they not able to produce the low bass area, properly add 12 to 18 inch woofer for the bass area.

The goal is to build low budget speaker with high efficiency.
What do you recommend? Is it possible to build this speaker without having to crossover?

For example, these units can be use:

mid to high
Fostex FE166E
Fostex FE206E
Jordan J92s

bass
Dayton Audio PA380-8 15"
Eminence Beta-15A 15" Driver
Goldwood GW-1558 15" Pro Woofer
Goldwood GW-1858 18" Pro Woofer
Dayton Audio PA460-8 18" Pro Woofer

Perhaps spring for the Audio Nirvana 12" or 15" cast frame, and then you'll have your fullrange and your large bass driver in one swing! :)

I'm getting into the idea of large full range drivers, and I like what I read most of the time. See what BudP says about the Audio Nirvana 15" in this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/182148-enabl-project-audio-nirvana-super-12-a-3.html

Good information on the treatment for the whizzer cone. The only one I have found that didn't need serious work was the AN 15 inch driver. The whizzer is just an extension of the voice coil and curves out just like a well matched horn throat. Just a few pattern sets and a modest amount of damping glue on the back side, were all it needed. The entire driver sounds like a full range flat panel ribbon driver.

Bud

Hello,

I want to build speakers with fullrange driver responsible for mid and high field up to 8 inches in size.

Because they not able to produce the low bass area, properly add 12 to 18 inch woofer for the bass area.

The goal is to build low budget speaker with high efficiency.
What do you recommend? Is it possible to build this speaker without having to crossover?

Not exactly what you're looking for as far as using larger 6-8" fullrange drivers, huge bass drivers, or highly efficient. But I can say, they certainly produce a wonderful fullrange sound.

These are a pair of towers I built years ago as a 3-way which I just converted over to a 2-way last weekend. For bass duties, they use a Vifa P21WO20 8" woofer which luckily ScanSpeak is still producing. It is in a 2.34cf enclosure which is now tuned to 28Hz (same as the fs of the driver). It hands off to a Fostex FE103E somewhere around 500Hz. The Fostex is mounted in the sealed midrange section of the enclosure which is roughly 0.43cf and heavily damped.

This system is using a very simple series crossover, 1st order on the Fostex and 2nd order on the Vifa. The reason I say the XO point is "somewhere around 500Hz" is because the two only known values in the system is the 51uF Solen cap across the woofer and the 10 ohm resistor on the (+) side of the Fostex. Both inductors being used were scavenged off of a couple of Dayton 3-way crossovers and I have no way of telling their actual values.

As far as sound is concerned, these towers are actually besting everything my NHT 2.9's do if you can believe that. They are more dynamic, image better, disappear better, throw a wider sound stage, have a more realistic, natural treble, more articulate, detailed bass and smoother midrange.

I'm guessing this entire system can be built for less than $350US, including building materials, wire and hardware, and they can compete with speakers that cost $2500US when new!

BTW, they are being powered by 23 watts of tube power and get plenty loud enough without taxing the amp.

Halfway through the first conversion...
p147593637-4.jpg

This is the test system I used right after I finished building the crossovers...
p1047029127-4.jpg

This is where they are now, in the main system, replacing the NHT 2.9's...
p397863880-4.jpg

Last edited:
Not exactly what you're looking for as far as using larger 6-8" fullrange drivers, huge bass drivers, or highly efficient. But I can say, they certainly produce a wonderful fullrange sound.

These are a pair of towers I built years ago as a 3-way which I just converted over to a 2-way last weekend. For bass duties, they use a Vifa P21WO20 8" woofer which luckily ScanSpeak is still producing. It is in a 2.34cf enclosure which is now tuned to 28Hz (same as the fs of the driver). It hands off to a Fostex FE103E somewhere around 500Hz. The Fostex is mounted in the sealed midrange section of the enclosure which is roughly 0.43cf and heavily damped.

This system is using a very simple series crossover, 1st order on the Fostex and 2nd order on the Vifa. The reason I say the XO point is "somewhere around 500Hz" is because the two only known values in the system is the 51uF Solen cap across the woofer and the 10 ohm resistor on the (+) side of the Fostex. Both inductors being used were scavenged off of a couple of Dayton 3-way crossovers and I have no way of telling their actual values.

As far as sound is concerned, these towers are actually besting everything my NHT 2.9's do if you can believe that. They are more dynamic, image better, disappear better, throw a wider sound stage, have a more realistic, natural treble, more articulate, detailed bass and smoother midrange.

I'm guessing this entire system can be built for less than $350US, including building materials, wire and hardware, and they can compete with speakers that cost $2500US when new!

BTW, they are being powered by 23 watts of tube power and get plenty loud enough without taxing the amp.

Halfway through the first conversion...
p147593637-4.jpg

This is the test system I used right after I finished building the crossovers...
p1047029127-4.jpg

This is where they are now, in the main system, replacing the NHT 2.9's...
p397863880-4.jpg

Mr analog - LX3 or 5, and whats the table?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.