new home for my 12LTA (and family) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2011, 05:36 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Alnico Saba Speakers Endorphine P21

Here's the link i wanted to show originally. It's the same idea as the one above but the designer went smaller. To accommodate your wife she may appreciate this. Will report back on ob sound with 12lta within a day or two. But i can envision two ob's in the corners of your room just like in the link. I can also envision two slender sealed cabs sporting the same drivers. I doubt either would sound less than stellar considering the components. There will be a way to wire it all up properly!

My ob's will sit on top of the H-frames and will match their 19.25" width.
Old 25th June 2011, 06:22 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
I've got to say though that this design is my favourite. I love the simplicity of it. The actual product is 1200mm tall (inc stand) x 500mm wide x 350mm deep.

Heres a piccy to give some idea of scale - the wifey REALLy likes this btw

better give credit to the maker - its trenner & fiedl's RA box. There are a couple of comments about their golden ratio cut Swarovsky crystal disperser on the supertweter. Thats on the 2nd image I posted originally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RA-BOX-cabinetmakers-HR.jpg (654.1 KB, 323 views)
Old 25th June 2011, 06:52 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Ok, with some 'rough' measuring work (taken the given height of 1200mm measured the speakers height in the picture) and worked out its

825 H x 500 W x 350 D = 144375 ccm meaning the enclosure would be about 5cft not taking into account bracing or wall thickness

Zilla in post #28 on the original thread you winISD'd 2 2.5cft vented enclosures and a 10cft vented enclosure. The 10cft was flat to 40hz!!!

The speakers pictured above are vented downwards (like you thought of early on).
Old 25th June 2011, 07:03 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Here are the ports
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RA-BOX-in-den-himmel-HR.jpg (307.0 KB, 295 views)
Old 25th June 2011, 07:35 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Well i've farted around with winISD (on my mac using VMWare Fusion) but I cant get any meaningful results, or at least I can't get nice curves like i se others producing

cue a 'begging' call - Zilla, pleeeeeeaassseee can you model a closed and ported 5cft ish box when you have the time?
Old 25th June 2011, 08:52 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

when i say 'I cant get any meaningful results' i mean i cant get any changes when fiddling with ports - number of, length and circumference
Old 25th June 2011, 09:21 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

JRKO, I don't have access to my old pc with winISD... life has gotten complicated for me as of late. In fact i am typing from a new Macbook Pro that doesn't run winISD. Question... are you going to use the 15" driver or just the 12lta in a large ported box? Personally, i like the simple look of the box your wife likes too. Question is, how to hide that large a woofer?

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Beta_15A_cab.pdf

Maybe that helps (you are using this driver right?). You could even email Eminence for a quick vent size comparison in the box size you desire. My head is spinning with design ideas for you... maybe a 14" wide cab with the 12lta and tweeter on front. Depth of box maybe around 18" to house a side firing 15" powered woofer...
Old 25th June 2011, 11:52 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

12lta on ob sounds excellent! Less congested and less 'boxy' sounding. I'd say in a sealed box the 12lta sounds a bit thicker thru the lower mids. My son and wife both think on ob the sound is more realistic and 'in the room' compared to sealed. Vocals are better for sure on ob. Still listening but these are my initial impressions after listening to Bruce Springstein, Billy Joel, Beatles, Lady Gaga and Simon and Garfunkel.
Old 26th June 2011, 12:01 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Great to hear it, Zilla! How much space are you giving them from the walls?

...For that matter, it looks like your H-frames are rather close to the walls in the pictures you've posted. How much space do they need?
Old 26th June 2011, 03:31 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

The H-frames are about a foot and a half from the rear wall and a foot from the side wall. The ob's are sitting on top. They look like little easels. I will post pics in a day or so. I need to listen some more but listening for about an hour today left me with a very favorable impression. Wife said to me over dinner they both sound good but it's a matter of personal preference.

Hide this!Advertise here!