I have two 3" FR drivers for use in FAST - which should I use - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2011, 04:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I have two 3" FR drivers for use in FAST - which should I use

Hi guys,

I have a pair of Fountek FR88EXs and a pair of Tang Band of unidentifiable model number and serial numbers 1 and 2. I got them from Dave and P10. He says it's possible they were prototypes coming from the same source as the other set he raves about. Says he's had them for years. Anyways, given I don't have any info about them, but the Fountek is quite common, I wanted some feedback.

This was taken on an OB, 30 x 50 cm with rough edges (an old drawer) that could be causing some diffraction. The enclosure hasn't been designed, so those aren't the design dimensions. Ignore the bad null at 1620hz. They were 83cm off the ground, which by my calculations creates a null at 1640, so I'm sure that's what it is. The sensitivities are off, as I offset them for illustration. Bad measurement technique Green is TB, and red is Fountek.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the impedance for the fountek:

And for the TB:

I think the TB looks cooler, and the assissting woofer is going to be closely matching in looks.

Old 25th June 2011, 04:21 AM   #2
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Both your drivers appear to be following similar peaks and dips. Are you sure there were no reflecting surfaces near by? Those measurements look terrible and I doubt the actual drivers have this much variation.
Old 25th June 2011, 04:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well I admit they were quick and dirty, they are representative. The baffle had bad edges and the drivers were surface mounted. So diffraction will be bad. I just need to know which direction to go, so when quick and dirty. The floor is 83cm otherwise boundaries should be far enough away.

I compared the fountek to the manufacturers sheet and zaphs, and they have a common theme, dip at 8khz and such. The dip at 1620 should be ignored. I suppose the floor could be showing up elsewhere
Old 25th June 2011, 08:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If they're both of the same cut-out, why not listen and find out for yourself?

There's only so much we can say about the drivers. Which one sounds best to you, we can't say.
Old 25th June 2011, 01:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I will listen to both once I build the cabs, but for now, I just wanted to know which one to focus the design on. I think the fountek looks flatter. Perhaps I should take better measurements and figure out a way to listen to them. I just thought one would look like a better choice, but I was shocked when they were so similar.
Old 25th June 2011, 04:55 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Chris is right. Measurements qon't tell you about DDR or other subtle things the ear car pick out.

Don't get analysis paralysis

dave
Old 25th June 2011, 11:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Chris is right. Measurements qon't tell you about DDR or other subtle things the ear car pick out.

Don't get analysis paralysis

dave

What is DDR?
Old 26th June 2011, 12:02 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Downward dynamic range.

dave
Old 26th June 2011, 01:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, I guess I'll make up some boxes or something. I think the fountek measures better, but thought maybe there was more to it, like diffraction, BSC, etc. I guess there was more to it... Listen!

Hide this!Advertise here!