I have two 3" FR drivers for use in FAST - which should I use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I have a pair of Fountek FR88EXs and a pair of Tang Band of unidentifiable model number and serial numbers 1 and 2. I got them from Dave and P10. He says it's possible they were prototypes coming from the same source as the other set he raves about. Says he's had them for years. Anyways, given I don't have any info about them, but the Fountek is quite common, I wanted some feedback.

This was taken on an OB, 30 x 50 cm with rough edges (an old drawer) that could be causing some diffraction. The enclosure hasn't been designed, so those aren't the design dimensions. Ignore the bad null at 1620hz. They were 83cm off the ground, which by my calculations creates a null at 1640, so I'm sure that's what it is. The sensitivities are off, as I offset them for illustration. Bad measurement technique Green is TB, and red is Fountek.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is the impedance for the fountek:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And for the TB:

I think the TB looks cooler, and the assissting woofer is going to be closely matching in looks.

Well I admit they were quick and dirty, they are representative. The baffle had bad edges and the drivers were surface mounted. So diffraction will be bad. I just need to know which direction to go, so when quick and dirty. The floor is 83cm otherwise boundaries should be far enough away.

I compared the fountek to the manufacturers sheet and zaphs, and they have a common theme, dip at 8khz and such. The dip at 1620 should be ignored. I suppose the floor could be showing up elsewhere :(

I will listen to both once I build the cabs, but for now, I just wanted to know which one to focus the design on. I think the fountek looks flatter. Perhaps I should take better measurements and figure out a way to listen to them. I just thought one would look like a better choice, but I was shocked when they were so similar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.