Fostex FE167s - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 04:09 AM   #1
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Default Fostex FE167s

Well, after several years of waiting i finally got a set of Full range Fostex FE167's.

They came from Planet10, a vey good friend

I have connected with a local guy that Planet10 has passed along to me, and we are building me a set of half Chilli's.

Link : http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...v91-130108.pdf

Only variation im going to change is im mounting my ribbon tweets on the top, that way there are no mods to the enclosure. I run Class A Mini a's 2 per channel ( left & right ) Will be posting pictures on here of the progress, and the crossover ( helped from planet10 ) to use the ribbon's and fostex's.

Ribbons area set of Aurum Cantus G2Si Ribbon Tweeter
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by jleaman; 21st June 2011 at 04:16 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 12:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
norman bates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: iowa
I love the blue !!!!!!!!!!

I think a full ranger with a ribbon crossed 6db very high would be killer.

The new tonian labs does something similar (using a ribbon with a fostex).
The tonian lab's tl-d1.
Tonian Acoustic
Tonian Labs TL-D1 - speakers - [English]
tonian labs tl-dl1

they even use ribons with the phy drivers.

please, please, keep us updated, especially on cap values.

Norman
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 03:21 PM   #3
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
I love the blue !!!!!!!!!!

I think a full ranger with a ribbon crossed 6db very high would be killer.

The new tonian labs does something similar (using a ribbon with a fostex).
The tonian lab's tl-d1.
Tonian Acoustic
Tonian Labs TL-D1 - speakers - [English]
tonian labs tl-dl1

they even use ribons with the phy drivers.

please, please, keep us updated, especially on cap values.

Norman

Do you know where i can find the plans for those ? that is exactly what, having a new baby in the house i can't have book shelf speakers only towers and something sturdy.

Plus they are everything i have wanted ( didn't think this existed)
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 04:08 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleaman View Post
Do you know where i can find the plans for those ? that is exactly what, having a new baby in the house i can't have book shelf speakers only towers and something sturdy.

Plus they are everything i have wanted ( didn't think this existed)

Jason, the plans for Tonian might be proprietary, and you already have the Chili plans in hand. IIRC the Aurum ribbons are sealed back, and occupy such little internal space that assuming you'd be mounting them off-centered and mirror imaged, I doubt any construction adjustments would be required.


To enhance stability of the enclosure, you might want to consider filling the lower void with sand or kitty litter through a small removable panel, and since the drivers' very vibrant colours will be very attractive to little ones, you definitely should consider grilles.


and belated congrats on the family
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 04:25 PM   #5
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Jason, the plans for Tonian might be proprietary, and you already have the Chili plans in hand. IIRC the Aurum ribbons are sealed back, and occupy such little internal space that assuming you'd be mounting them off-centered and mirror imaged, I doubt any construction adjustments would be required.


To enhance stability of the enclosure, you might want to consider filling the lower void with sand or kitty litter through a small removable panel, and since the drivers' very vibrant colours will be very attractive to little ones, you definitely should consider grilles.


and belated congrats on the family

Great advice chris, thanks.

As for the munchkin, well.... no one told me that they grow fast...

Now to go out and find the "white" stain.

This is the look im going for.
Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 05:21 PM   #6
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Danika sleeping,,

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 07:18 PM   #7
tubemax is offline tubemax  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Heemskerk
Default FE167E + tweet

Just to mention a great design from Robert Brines FT-1600MkII MLTL as a good option for FE167E build - I built one 2-3 years ago for my friend with FT17H with very good results but Half Chilli's maybe better sounding...?
For me I needed to install super tweeter because I missed resolution of dedicated tweeter - not because of poor freq. response.
Just my two cents...

Regards,
Max
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE167E MLTL 5 copy.jpg (71.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg FE167E MLTL 4 copy.jpg (75.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg FE167E MLTL 2 copy.jpg (65.6 KB, 59 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 09:49 PM   #8
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemax View Post
Just to mention a great design from Robert Brines FT-1600MkII MLTL as a good option for FE167E build - I built one 2-3 years ago for my friend with FT17H with very good results but Half Chilli's maybe better sounding...?
For me I needed to install super tweeter because I missed resolution of dedicated tweeter - not because of poor freq. response.
Just my two cents...

Regards,
Max
would you be able to post the drawings for this design ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:46 AM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleaman View Post
would you be able to post the drawings for this design ?

Jason, even though Bob no longer lists this design on his site due to the discontinuation of the FE167E, I believe the following would still apply:

Quote:
The FT-1600 MkII uses proprietary design procedures licensed to me by Martin J. King. Any commercial use of this design, including third-party construction for hire, requires a license agreement from me.
Bob charges the very reasonable fee of $25 for a full measured set of drawings, which I'm certain include the purchaser's agreement to not distribute or forward them to others.
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:54 AM   #10
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Jason, even though Bob no longer lists this design on his site due to the discontinuation of the FE167E, I believe the following would still apply:

Bob charges the very reasonable fee of $25 for a full measured set of drawings, which I'm certain include the purchaser's agreement to not distribute or forward them to others.
i'm going to stick with the half chilli's.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swap: Fostex T825 for a higher efficiency top tweeter by Fostex, Coral etc anubisgrau Swap Meet 1 22nd July 2012 06:12 PM
FS: 2 super tweeters Fostex T90A + 2 attenuators Fostex AT50H merlin el mago Swap Meet 7 29th October 2010 09:14 PM
fostex 208ez and fostex ft17 h good kombo? almightybozo Full Range 1 24th September 2010 06:00 PM
FOSTEX FE126 in Fostex BR Enclosure nafunga Full Range 3 29th July 2008 07:21 PM
WTB: a pair of Visaton B200 or Fostex F108ES or Fostex FE126e or Jordan JS92S Rafal Swap Meet 0 10th November 2006 01:35 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2015 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2