Fostex FE167s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, after several years of waiting i finally got a set of Full range Fostex FE167's.

They came from Planet10, a vey good friend :)

I have connected with a local guy that Planet10 has passed along to me, and we are building me a set of half Chilli's.

Link : http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/half-Chili-map-0v91-130108.pdf

Only variation im going to change is im mounting my ribbon tweets on the top, that way there are no mods to the enclosure. I run Class A Mini a's 2 per channel ( left & right ) Will be posting pictures on here of the progress, and the crossover ( helped from planet10 ) to use the ribbon's and fostex's.

Ribbons area set of Aurum Cantus G2Si Ribbon Tweeter
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DSCN2881.JPG

Screen%252520shot%2525202011-06-20%252520at%2525209.08.37%252520PM.png

Last edited:
I love the blue !!!!!!!!!!

I think a full ranger with a ribbon crossed 6db very high would be killer.

The new tonian labs does something similar (using a ribbon with a fostex).
The tonian lab's tl-d1.
Tonian Acoustic
Tonian Labs TL-D1 - speakers - [English]
tonian labs tl-dl1

they even use ribons with the phy drivers.

please, please, keep us updated, especially on cap values.

Norman

Do you know where i can find the plans for those ? that is exactly what, having a new baby in the house i can't have book shelf speakers only towers and something sturdy.

Plus they are everything i have wanted :) ( didn't think this existed)

Do you know where i can find the plans for those ? that is exactly what, having a new baby in the house i can't have book shelf speakers only towers and something sturdy.

Plus they are everything i have wanted :) ( didn't think this existed)

Jason, the plans for Tonian might be proprietary, and you already have the Chili plans in hand. IIRC the Aurum ribbons are sealed back, and occupy such little internal space that assuming you'd be mounting them off-centered and mirror imaged, I doubt any construction adjustments would be required.

To enhance stability of the enclosure, you might want to consider filling the lower void with sand or kitty litter through a small removable panel, and since the drivers' very vibrant colours will be very attractive to little ones, you definitely should consider grilles.

and belated congrats on the family

Jason, the plans for Tonian might be proprietary, and you already have the Chili plans in hand. IIRC the Aurum ribbons are sealed back, and occupy such little internal space that assuming you'd be mounting them off-centered and mirror imaged, I doubt any construction adjustments would be required.

To enhance stability of the enclosure, you might want to consider filling the lower void with sand or kitty litter through a small removable panel, and since the drivers' very vibrant colours will be very attractive to little ones, you definitely should consider grilles.

and belated congrats on the family

Great advice chris, thanks.

As for the munchkin, well.... no one told me that they grow fast...

Now to go out and find the "white" stain.

This is the look im going for.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

FE167E + tweet

Just to mention a great design from Robert Brines FT-1600MkII MLTL as a good option for FE167E build - I built one 2-3 years ago for my friend with FT17H with very good results but Half Chilli's maybe better sounding...?
For me I needed to install super tweeter because I missed resolution of dedicated tweeter - not because of poor freq. response.
Just my two cents...

Regards,
Max

Attachments

• FE167E MLTL 5 copy.jpg
    FE167E MLTL 5 copy.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 138
  • FE167E MLTL 4 copy.jpg
    FE167E MLTL 4 copy.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 124
  • FE167E MLTL 2 copy.jpg
    FE167E MLTL 2 copy.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 83
Just to mention a great design from Robert Brines FT-1600MkII MLTL as a good option for FE167E build - I built one 2-3 years ago for my friend with FT17H with very good results but Half Chilli's maybe better sounding...?
For me I needed to install super tweeter because I missed resolution of dedicated tweeter - not because of poor freq. response.
Just my two cents...

Regards,
Max

would you be able to post the drawings for this design ?

would you be able to post the drawings for this design ?

Jason, even though Bob no longer lists this design on his site due to the discontinuation of the FE167E, I believe the following would still apply:

The FT-1600 MkII uses proprietary design procedures licensed to me by Martin J. King. Any commercial use of this design, including third-party construction for hire, requires a license agreement from me.
Bob charges the very reasonable fee of $25 for a full measured set of drawings, which I'm certain include the purchaser's agreement to not distribute or forward them to others.

Jason, even though Bob no longer lists this design on his site due to the discontinuation of the FE167E, I believe the following would still apply:

Bob charges the very reasonable fee of $25 for a full measured set of drawings, which I'm certain include the purchaser's agreement to not distribute or forward them to others.

i'm going to stick with the half chilli's.

Cool... looking good. These will look good with the white stain. IIRC Chrisb mentioned something about having the ribbons off-centre and buidling a mirror imaged pair.

What's standing beside the Changs? Mar-Ken 12 or 10?

I'm not to sure what they are, planet10 would know tho.

Jason..

Bernie's Mar-Ken12t made from his old flooring ... you can se eit hasn't been replaced yet.

dave

Yes, I guessed it must be the one. A beautiful looking (and I guess nice sounding) pair... why change? :)

What does the T stand for - Trapezoidal?

Yup, and I'd u look closer, he's trying out my hand made cables :)

Good to see friends having fun and trying out DIY stuff !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.