Woden Design Victor for FE166En

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Victor-comp-pics.jpg

Victor-rotate160.jpg

dave

Beautiful!
(A bit odd not seeing polka-dots @ Dave's though!)
Stunning execution, brilliant finish.
Tell us your listening impressions---
don

patience, grasshopper - there was a bit of backlog on workbench "behind the polka dot door" when I picked up some FE126E for FH3 the other day*

My own initial impressions were that perhaps a bit of adjustment to driver chamber fill level might be required, and that even stock, the ESRs are pretty darned special. Certainly have the signature FE series dynamics and forward midrange - no "shout" to speak of, but perhaps some slight midrange "echo" that could use some taming by playing with fill (as usual, this is most notable on vocals)

For those familiar with the voluminous room, these have little trouble creating a huge soundstage and plenty of bass.

Not having seen any preliminary drawings, I was a bit surprised myself that they weren't any taller than the Valiants - so yes that means for a reasonable breakout from 5x5 sheets. I would make for a bit of a bitch if you want to perimeter wrap veneer for grain continuity, but then who will be spending much time inspecting the top of the cabinets?

hmm, bamboo

*speaking of FH3/FE126E - I had a short session with them this afternoon. Compared to dual EL70 microtowers, they definitely need corner placement for low end foundation, and in this particular room that places them approx 15 feet apart - so of course, depending on recording mix, channel separation can be a bit exaggerated and center imaging a bit thin and wandering.

but man can these deliver on dynamics, big soundstage and imaging . one of my longtime favorite recordings for imaging is Wailing Jennies - 40 Days, - fairly close miked small group with very tight harmonies - it's literally hard sometimes to separate the 3 voices - not with the Fostex/FH combo .

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jeff,

The same issue is occuring in Maeshowe. A minor bit of damping in the throats (as originally specified by Scott in concept if not amount) made a significant improvement. Just a matter of nailing the dose. I've at least 2 more driver changes in these, plus a couple in Maeshowe which should give a very good baseline.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scott was quite worried when i said we were going to put FE166eSR into Victor. He was pleased that it works... or at least works WAY better than the factory recommended horn (from Berie who has lived with the factory horn for > 6 months).

We'll see how it does vrs FE166 soon enuff (or rather FE166eN^2).

dave

slightly OT: FH3 15' apart. Really? And the Victor

Chris, and others:

One thing that many of us forget about is the dimensions of our listening rooms. To get a real appreciation perhaps it can be instructional to create a basic sketchup or similar drawing so others can get an idea of the acoustic spaces we listen in.
and in this particular room that places them approx 15 feet apart - so of course, depending on recording mix, channel separation can be a bit exaggerated and center imaging a bit thin and wandering.

Perhaps quick sketches could be posted in members albums or similar? The only place many of have seen before is Dave's central "hall" (best descriptor I could come up with)

Dave: Bernie's work is very impressive. His skill level appears to be amazing. Was the burnt offering at the designated annual location? Where are the marshmallows?

All: It is amazing that Dave, Scott et al continue to develop plans for such an array of drivers. The amount of work required to get a single good enclosure can be a huge task. But good multiple enclosures? Forget about it.

chrisb:: is this in reference to Dave's central hall?
For those familiar with the voluminous room, these have little trouble creating a huge soundstage and plenty of bass.

Sometimes I wish I was rich, like chris:)
hmm, bamboo

When I grow up I wanna be just like Dave. Or maybe chris. OK, how about the mute? (TerryO hope things are going well for you)

Last edited:
Hi Nanook!

I've pretty much recovered and can actually talk again, much to my wife's disappointment.
:D

I just got back last Tuesday from two wonderful weeks in Southern California visiting one of my sons and his family. It was 84 degrees when I left California and that night it got down to 32 degrees in Seattle!

I've just realized that I'm basically a Southern California Surfer Dude trapped in a Washingtonian's body. The very thought of this has caused excruciating mental agony.

Best Regards,
Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.