Alpair10.2 - dissapointing result - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2011, 04:28 PM   #11
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Andrej: If you've already built the Mar-Ken cabinets for the A7, I doubt you'll find the
Mar-Ken10 bass shy.
The 10.2 driver in these cabs produce tight tuneful bass, and go out way beyond the limits of my hearing.
One doesn't get the impression they're missing anything, YMMV, as always.
good Luck
don
IMG_1700.jpg
(someday I'll veneer them, I knew this would happen!)
Old 19th June 2011, 04:31 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

No problem, Mark. It was completely my fault, and I am sure the A10.2 is a great driver if in a proper enclosure. And I will build the proper enclosure for A10.2 - this driver deserve it. Thank you Mark, Best Regards, Andrej
Old 19th June 2011, 04:48 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Don!! Very nice looking box. Before I start building the BR enclosure for A10.2, I trying to calculate onken type box for A10.2, but, it is not for newbie - it is for peoples who understand something in speaker building. Because I can't find the onken type plan for A10.2, I choose the wrong way - BR. Thank you, Don - it is really nice compartment for A10.2. And I am sure the sound is equal. May be I want too much.., but, did you calculate this onken by yourself and have a plans? Sorry if anything. Andrej.
Old 19th June 2011, 05:03 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natujazz View Post
No problem, Mark. It was completely my fault, and I am sure the A10.2 is a great driver if in a proper enclosure. And I will build the proper enclosure for A10.2 - this driver deserve it. Thank you Mark, Best Regards, Andrej
Hi Andrej,
Its kind of you. I feel embarrassed that this situation happened. Tony's a good guy, means well but he's made a mistake. I've helped him out with some simple designs meant mainly for Asian and mainstream listening tastes, but not meant for Diy needs.

One thing goes to show, that listening tastes vary much. The box you built is quite popular in our region.

If you're looking for some big bass, worth considering the Pencil 10.2. Scott did a nice job with this concept. Pencil's are easy build and floor space needed is not much more than bookshelf speakers on stands. Its easy to tune by adjusting the amount of damping material inside the box. Dave and other Diy guys might also give you some other box design suggestions.

Many thanks again for your understanding and support.

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 19th June 2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: additional
Old 19th June 2011, 05:20 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Mark, thank you for advice, but Pencil 10.2 is too big for my room (I have no dedicated listening room). And Classic Mar-Ken 10.2 did not pass the WAF . Don made a really nice cabinets from all points of view. Thank's again, Andrej
Old 19th June 2011, 05:30 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natujazz View Post
And Classic Mar-Ken 10.2 did not pass the WAF
That's disappointing.

jeff
Old 19th June 2011, 06:27 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Except for the bass, which has been explained, and the delta between the 2 is find that the A7 does indeed outdo A10.2 in imaging & in mid-top performance. Just what you would expect from a smaller driver in the same family.

Too get a feel for the differences with each driver on more-or-less equal footing, try the A10.2 in CGR Mar-Ken10.2 (oopa, i see that idea was vetoed). But based on the drawing i saw CGR-MK10.2 is smaller than Tony's cabinet. I could morph it into a more WAF friendly aspect.

dave
Old 19th June 2011, 07:27 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks for reply Dave. May be the total volume of CGR Mar-Ken 10.2 is less than BR box, but it looks larger because of this wide front panel and it is not fits very well with the speaker stands I have. But, may be time passes and I'll change my mind about CGR. WBR, Andrej
Old 19th June 2011, 07:42 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
But based on the drawing i saw CGR-MK10.2 is smaller than Tony's cabinet.
What was the approx. vol. of Tony's cab. please? Just curious.

jeff
Old 19th June 2011, 07:50 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

About 16 L internal volume (near 13 L after lining the box with 12mm wool). Andrej.

Hide this!Advertise here!