Advice for FAST with alpair 7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a FAST system using the Alpair 7 and Minidsp, the design would be quite similar to the B&W 802 diamond.
In the thread of the Blanda speakers http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/159151-ikea-spherical-speakers-first-build-done.html there where some interesting ideas of how to make the droplet like B&W does.

Now my question is would it be possible to use the 20cm Blanda bowls or do I have to use the 28cm ones? I will most likely cross them at 300hz.
So I was thinking that the smaller size bowls should still be ok if the don't have to go that low.

For the bass drivers I was thinking of using two CSS TRIO8 drivers per speaker, would these be good drivers for this purpose or are there better alternatives?

That's an interesting way of building a bowl, but I think I will stick to the Blanda bowls for now.

So the question is can I go to Ikea and get a couple of 20cm Blanda bowls to use with the Alpair 7.
If I put this project in Winisd with a box of 3,5l everything seems fine, but perhaps there is something that I'm missing in order to make a good sounding speaker.
So every help is much appreciated.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The A7 can be used in quite a small box if you aren't concerned about the bass. If too small you will get a bump at the bottom of the pass-band but this will be crossed out. The biggest concern with a very small box is that of internal reflections coming back thru the cone. This will be less an issue if you make an actual teardrop for the backhalf... if needed you can leave the skinny end open and make it into an aperiodic mid-TL.

Another issue with the smaller bowls is that more of the bowl has to be cut away to get the driver rebated. A quick sketch shows no mecahnical issues, but it will decrease your volume.

dave

Attachments

• A7-in-20cm-blanda.gif
    A7-in-20cm-blanda.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 557
  • MA-CHR-70-sealed.gif
    MA-CHR-70-sealed.gif
    16 KB · Views: 541
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.