Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2011, 05:19 PM   #11
dhenryp is offline dhenryp  United States
diyAudio Member

Talearts - That's an interesting idea. I thought of something like that early in the design but was worried that exiting at the front shelf would put the mouth too far from the corner to get the full effect of the corner.

What I'm thinking about now is putting a 45 degree reflector in the top back corner and opening up half of the top. That way, half the sound would exit at the top while the other half would exit out the front shelf (which would be partially obstructed by whatever photos and nicknacks we place there). I'm still working out details but I'll try to post some updated sketches in the next day or so.
Old 19th June 2011, 10:26 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Here are some new sketches with a combined top/front mouth. I'm also showing some of the internal bends rounded off. I'm thinking of building it with square bends and then rounded bends and measuring the differences. I've also changed the width to 30" to improve the WAF a bit. I'm including another hornresp sim with the new dimension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bookcase Horn.JPG (157.1 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg Bookcase Horn hornresp.JPG (101.9 KB, 270 views)
Old 19th June 2011, 11:31 PM   #13
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Awesome. That's thinking outside the box! Should be great.

I vote for the first design, with the top exit. Larger effective mouth size.
Old 22nd June 2011, 01:19 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I finally have a "final" design. I'm going with the Fostex FX120 and I've reduced the footprint again. It's now 12.75" d X 24" w X 78" h. This improves the WAF and only costs me a couple hertz on the low end and a fraction of a dB output at 1 watt compared to my previous 13.25" X 30" X 78" design.

I've included new sketches, including one view that shows the curved deflector right behind the throat opening to the speaker box. I've also included a larger scale detailed drawing of the bottom 42" high by 3.5" deep section of the horn. This drawing shows the detailed dimensions and shapes. The "teardrop" internal partition and deflectors will be made of 3.5" solid wood. This will be made of a sandwich of two pieces of 2" X 6" lumber (actual dimensions: 1.5" X 5.5") and one piece of 1/2" plywood or MDF. I've got a band saw so cutting the full 3.5" thickness won't be a problem. You could also use a jig saw but you would probably have to cut the three pieces first then glue them together.

Lastly, I'm attaching two new Hornresp sims: one for the FX120 and one for the FE166. The FX120 goes a couple hertz deeper and plays a couple dB louder (max SPL) so that's why I chose it. One note: the first horn segment has an exponential expansion while the other segments are straight conical expansions. The exponential flare was important for the first segment but made no difference for the others. It's no big deal as it's just as easy to cut the exponential curve as it is to cut a straight line.

I hope to start building this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0004-1.JPG (171.0 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg bookcase horn 002-1.jpg (143.9 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg bookcase horn 12.75 X 24 FX120.JPG (99.5 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg bookcase horn 12.75 X 24 FE166.JPG (99.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 17th July 2011, 09:28 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Progress Report

I've got the "bones" of one speaker built. In the attached interior picture, I've painted the curvy parts gray so they show up better. I've got a fair amount of work to do to complete one speaker, this is not including building a book case around it. It will probably be another week or two before I get a speaker done and some measurements made.

I've made a few detail changes but it's basically the design from my last post. I'll post updated drawings once I complete a speaker and do some measurements and I'm sure it won't change again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0583-1.JPG (51.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0580-1.JPG (60.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0578-1.JPG (63.5 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0582-1.JPG (44.3 KB, 123 views)
Old 17th July 2011, 11:56 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Sensational!
Old 18th July 2011, 03:11 AM   #17
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
Sensational!
+1, this is looking really good!
Old 18th July 2011, 03:40 AM   #18
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

This is a great idea. I think many of us are often looking for ways to hide horns or large TLs. If you have a normal 96" wall height I wonder if you have tried to model extending the sides to the ceiling and curving the back from its present 78"height to finish above the front panel, maybe with a decorative molding along the ceiling. This would make it look completely built in and would extend the length a small bit and maybe increase the mouth area slightly. This might reduce the ripple in the upper bass slightly. Could be done without altering the existing unit in anyway if modelling it shows any advantage. Great scheme anyway.
jamikl
Old 18th July 2011, 11:15 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks folks. This has turned out to take more time than I expected; it is a pretty big and heavy speaker, there are a lot of angle cuts, the two speakers are mirror images, and I'm having to plan a very specific order of assembly for the speaker and surrounding book case.

Jamikl - I have considered doing exactly what you said. My ceiling is 7.5 'high so the top of the horn will be just about a foot from the ceiling. I think I'm going to first experiment with an angled deflector at the ceiling to see if it makes a difference either in the frequency response or shape of the response.
Old 18th July 2011, 08:18 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Almost a year ago, I built a giant OB woofer into the legs of a table kept almost against a wall. As a diversity woofer to my Klipschorn, results were excellent in terms of smooth and extended bass and diminution of room effects - in fact, too much output right at 20 Hz resonance.

My comments about it appear under my alias or "giant OB".

For example: post #411, Ultimate OB GALLERY

Ben

Last edited by bentoronto; 18th July 2011 at 08:23 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!