Why not full range with a subwoofer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2011, 06:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Why not full range with a subwoofer?

Been reading a lot but still a newbie so appreciate any help.

One of the critique is that a full ranger can't really do 20-20K hz range.

I see that there are plenty of full rangers that can do, say, 60hz to 20K, especially smaller units that are about 3 to 5 inches in diameter.

So why not do a full ranger that handles 80-20K and let the sub take 20-80hz? I'm assuming the use of a very high quality and sealed musical sub with very quick transients etc. Is integration still a problem?

The full range that can do 50-20K will sound even better 80-20K in that the bass is where the large excursions happen and having this taken out seem to be a benefit.

Thanks,
UL
Old 13th June 2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Where you been UL? Lots of people do that.
Old 13th June 2011, 06:54 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
One of the critique is that a full ranger can't really do 20-20K hz range.
Very very few multi-ways make 20 hz, and i know of no 2-ways that do.

Helper woofers (a minimum of 2 is suggested) are highly recommended if you find you want more LF ommff. If you follow Geddes or Toole, and satelitte that can be XOed below 80 Hz is unnecessary. To get a good blend you would prefer them to be more extended than most subs.

dave
Old 13th June 2011, 06:56 PM   #4
brsanko is offline brsanko  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to brsanko
I would say that is probably the most common configuration for "full range" drivers. However when properly horn loaded there are a lot of full range drivers capable of 20hz-20khz, they just need to have very large cabinets.
Old 13th June 2011, 06:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

To clarify by very large I mean like refrigerator size or larger, and then they still don't play crazy loud, so yeah the 80hz-20khz plus subwoofer is a great comprimise.
Old 13th June 2011, 07:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Cal,

LOL. Where have I been? Been trying to learn about full rangers... Asked as I've read a few posts in other forums where full rangers dislike on a separate sub - something about integration problems. Hence my question.

UL
Old 13th June 2011, 07:12 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
I've read a few posts in other forums where full rangers dislike on a separate sub - something about integration problems.
There are definitly purists, often having never gone to the effort to get the right woofers and do the work necessary to integrate them.

dave
Old 13th June 2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

What planet10 said.
Old 13th June 2011, 07:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ditto.
Old 13th June 2011, 07:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

This leads to two follow-up questions... Sorry about that - you know what they say about good deeds...LOL. Really do appreciate everyone who responded and this great forum.

Query 1
Full rangers are often stated as being better for more intimate works such as vocals, chamber pieces, and jazz. And stated as not handling full orchestra well. If they lows are farmed out to a subwoofer unit, would the full ranger now do fine for full orchestra and other more demanding pieces? I know this is a general question and drivers do differ.

Question 2
If the full ranger need only to handle 80hz and up (or even 100 hz and up), would that then open up the possible options for enclosures where much smaller enclosures will still work just as well as we are no longer building for ultimately low frequency extension possible for a set of drivers? Or is 80 hz still considered to be quite low? I'm thinking of drivers between 3 and 5 inches. The smaller the cabinet, the easier the placement and possibly the better the imaging.

Thanks,
UL

Last edited by Ultralight; 13th June 2011 at 07:39 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!