Driver extending way past xmax in regular use- sign of damage? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2011, 05:25 AM   #11
hugz is offline hugz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
turntables (due to RIAA LF boost needed in phono circuit) can benefit from a highpass filter (I've a variable corner VSP Labs 4th order filter) - I know some don't want to get away from purist approach so it might be done with R&C if there's enough gain and decent Z match. FE206EN in a Karlson 12 does a pretty good bass drum at plus to minus 2mm each direction - enough to startle and say "damn!" - and that's in comparison to my Klipschorns. A BK20 rear load pipehorn sounds like its out of phase on drums and sometimes punchless. I used an AlpehJ clone on the FE206E - more power might have been better but there's compression/heating to worry about it there's more than a quick transient. Maybe you're clipping the little amp -?

0.8mm probably is the over (or under?) hang - its still usable for couple of mm each way til it audibly compresses
Thanks for the reply!

SI use a lid state source.

I'm pretty sure I'm not clipping

NAD 3020e (20 wais the exact same effect
Old 10th June 2011, 05:28 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

In the spirit of the above video:

MY YOUTUBE VIDEO!

obviously I chose a song which has particularly strong kick. I went into the horn at the end.

Doesn't sound hifi obviously, because it's an iphone video taken 5cm, away from the driver. The iphone speaker seems to bork at the end from the bass
Old 10th June 2011, 05:58 AM   #13
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

if you can find a K12 Karlson - give that a try. I don't happen to have an upload with a kick but in this track there's some transients - some drums around 4:58 - not sure why my picture aspect got bent out of shape - couldn't do good video and audio at the same time so its messed-up stills with Zoom H2 audio
YouTube - ‪"Karlsonette" 1954 twelve inch Karlson speaker with FE206EN (Zoom H2)‬‏

at long as you don't bottom out things should be ok - W8-1772 had worse excursion in the K12 than FE206EN (and a different Z curve)
Old 10th June 2011, 06:09 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Borked an above post. it's not likely an amp problem because 2 amps do it. Maybe it isn't a problem at all. yet to be seen
Old 10th June 2011, 06:12 AM   #15
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

at at point the speaker is just flapping in the air and doing nothing useful - AJ-horn, etc can be used for rough estimates of power handling vs frequency. I''m a Karlson-man and proud of it.

Hide this!Advertise here!