Driver extending way past xmax in regular use- sign of damage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy

I'm using a FE206E in a Dallas II

The driver has an xmax of 0.8mm, but in regular use if I'm pumping music it will visibly move 5mm+. This is when being used WAY within the speaker's rating. I'm not clipping my 5w Firstwatt F2 and the FE206e rating is 30W ("music power" 90w).

Is this willingness to move far beyond xmax a sign of previous damage (I never had any reservation pumping 1812 overture which would move the driver 1cm+ at the cannons)

Thoughts?

OMost of the time you'll see no movement at all, even when played loud.. but lately I've noticed that even a bass-drum on a rock song (when played loud) will create very obvious movement when pumped.

The speakers were out of action for about 1.5 years so maybe I'm paranoid and have forgotten what they're usually like

hugz,

Like this, right?.. Fostex FE103E Playing Pat Metheny
(An FE103E with 0.35mm Xmax moving about unecessarily.)

BTW, your FE206E's are rated at 1.5mm Xmax IIRC, the new FE206En are 0.8mm.

I've always wondered what causes this phenomenon as well. It is by no means limited to just full rangers, either. I used to witness it on a pair of 3-ways all the time. I'm thinking it might just be related to the recording, but not entirely certain.

sofaspud,
It's common.

I think if it were damaged you'd either hear it or see it at the surround or spider or both, or somewhere else. If you are not abusing your F2 I wouldn't worry over it.
I guess it's not a typo... maybe just designed for an amp such as yours. Can you tell I've never really done the FR pair hi-fi thing? :)

hugz,

Like this, right?.. Fostex FE103E Playing Pat Metheny
(An FE103E with 0.35mm Xmax moving about unecessarily.)

BTW, your FE206E's are rated at 1.5mm Xmax IIRC, the new FE206En are 0.8mm.

I've always wondered what causes this phenomenon as well. It is by no means limited to just full rangers, either. I used to witness it on a pair of 3-ways all the time. I'm thinking it might just be related to the recording, but not entirely certain.

sofaspud,
It's common.

Yup thanks! my memory said 2 things.. "it's 1.5mm" and "i use fe206e. what's this fe206en business all about?".. I've been away from the internet so long that I completely missed the fe206en thing :)

haha as for that video.... even now the drivers only move like 5mm or something, but back in the day when I'd pump 1812 overture, the cannons would make the driver fly like in the video

Last edited:
turntables (due to RIAA LF boost needed in phono circuit) can benefit from a highpass filter (I've a variable corner VSP Labs 4th order filter) - I know some don't want to get away from purist approach so it might be done with R&C if there's enough gain and decent Z match. FE206EN in a Karlson 12 does a pretty good bass drum at plus to minus 2mm each direction - enough to startle and say "damn!" - and that's in comparison to my Klipschorns. A BK20 rear load pipehorn sounds like its out of phase on drums and sometimes punchless. I used an AlpehJ clone on the FE206E - more power might have been better but there's compression/heating to worry about it there's more than a quick transient. Maybe you're clipping the little amp -?

0.8mm probably is the over (or under?) hang - its still usable for couple of mm each way til it audibly compresses

Last edited:
turntables (due to RIAA LF boost needed in phono circuit) can benefit from a highpass filter (I've a variable corner VSP Labs 4th order filter) - I know some don't want to get away from purist approach so it might be done with R&C if there's enough gain and decent Z match. FE206EN in a Karlson 12 does a pretty good bass drum at plus to minus 2mm each direction - enough to startle and say "damn!" - and that's in comparison to my Klipschorns. A BK20 rear load pipehorn sounds like its out of phase on drums and sometimes punchless. I used an AlpehJ clone on the FE206E - more power might have been better but there's compression/heating to worry about it there's more than a quick transient. Maybe you're clipping the little amp -?

0.8mm probably is the over (or under?) hang - its still usable for couple of mm each way til it audibly compresses

Thanks for the reply!

SI use a lid state source.

I'm pretty sure I'm not clipping :)

NAD 3020e (20 wais the exact same effect

if you can find a K12 Karlson - give that a try. I don't happen to have an upload with a kick but in this track there's some transients - some drums around 4:58 - not sure why my picture aspect got bent out of shape - couldn't do good video and audio at the same time so its messed-up stills with Zoom H2 audio
YouTube - ‪"Karlsonette" 1954 twelve inch Karlson speaker with FE206EN (Zoom H2)‬‏

at long as you don't bottom out things should be ok - W8-1772 had worse excursion in the K12 than FE206EN (and a different Z curve)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.