TB Bamboo on sale at PE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found the W4-1320SJ to be a very well balanced driver. I had no need for any compensation for rising HF. It has a natural warmth, with very good detail, and no sense of being etched. One of the least peaky of the many full rangers I have tried. Works remarkably well in a small BR on top of an H-frame. It was good enough to live with, long term. If I were sensible, I would have stopped here and just enjoyed the music. :)

Bob

I agree! It is very well balanced indeed, but not boring at all, it's a speaker that you can listen on and on... :)

but the 3" flat cone TB is like from another galaxy lol :eek: for electronic Music I don't know a better wideranger :yummy:
it's really something different, it's a "weapon", a drug :rofl:
it's not 3D, it's 4D sound! Believe it or not, with 2 of them you have surround sound, and something else that I can't explain :D

Last edited:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

018.jpg

I have the sb version and recommend them. It has a bit of clang in cymbals (6khz spike) but it never annoyed me.

Norman

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

018.jpg

I have the sb version and recommend them. It has a bit of clang in cymbals (6khz spike) but it never annoyed me.

Norman

Very nice looking speakers Mr. Bates. And I see you have the environmentally approved, organic cabinet damping material on top of the larger cabinet!:D:D

Peace,

Dave

lol, thanks.

I did read that link a month or so ago. Intriguing (sp?). I'm a bit lazy and have been playing with my other stuff. Seeing them on sale does make me contemplate a 9 driver focused array, but horizontal dispersion is a deal breaker for that project. But 9 x 4" would have more cone area than a 12" driver.

And I may be wrong, but I think intelligibility on a non-whizzer full range driver is better than a whizzered one.

I am tempted to make a 4 driver array (a square). 4 = cone area of an 8" driver. But you'd have to be back 10' or more. Dispersion would be less than an 8" driver (some pluses and some minuses). Just something else to try. Like the calcube loudspeakers.
http://www.calcube.com/
but not the cubes with more than 4 drivers.................

Norman

Last edited:
Maybe a big, fluffy long-haired Angora cat would take the edge off the cymbals?

Is a pure bred good enough or will it have to be AKC to give sparkling (h)air? If the cat just ate a big meal, does it make the sound quality bloated? Did you try braiding the hair on the tail to improve sound? I don't have a feline, but I do have a canine and I tried it--the sound went to the dogs. :Pinoc:

Nice build BTW, I think you could do more accurate cuts with a chain saw than I can with a Roto-Zip.

Thanks, a guy in ohio built the 2 boxes for me (dual driver = cherry over mdf, 4 focused array = 13 layer oak ply).

A friend at work has a cabinet maker brother who can get me 1/2" baltic birch in 5' x 5' sheets or free scraps (all my open baffle was free wood). But it took a bunch of holes for the 2 x 5' hinges.

I still not sure what the next project will be. Maybe a phy sized open baffle for a w8-1808, or a focused array using 9 x 4" bamboo. I'm leaning on the array but a 6" wide sweet spot may be a deal beaker. I need couch dispersion at 12'.

Norman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.