Full range drivers and T-amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at getting a T amp with the tk2050 chip to drive my next design - looking at the Helder hifi pcb's and also the Hifimediy dac (AD1853), to run off batteries.

Does anyone have one of these little fellas rigged up? How do they sound with full range units?

It's been about a year but my first experience with full rangers was a pair of Sachiko double mouth back loaded horns with some slightly modified Fostex 206Es in them. I think I tried every amp I had available including a Sonic Impact T-Amp (3wpc?) I'm a fan of the way the T-Amps can sound with the right speaker and this combination did not disappoint. I did NOT push it to find it's limits but felt that said limits were probably well beyond the comfortable listening levels in my room. YMMV

Yep, I'll second that. Had mine on quite loud the other day, so loud my friends arriving(student accommodation) could hear it when they were outside and I think in their car. I didn't realise this as there is so little distortion(and the dial was only on 2'o'clock). I'm running a commercial t-amp with Ta2024c chip inside, with some temporary mini open baffles using Fe103e's and a sub. Mine has 10w at 8ohms.

Sound is pretty good, even with my old cabinets I were using, which had many floors, people when round would ask me about them.

I like my t amps... have the SI original, the Dayton clone and the 50 watt Dayton.

Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More!

For whatever reason i seem to prefer the cheaper amps. With the expensive Dayton the channel balance is off at low volumes but evens out when louder. It's a bit annoying. The cheapies are perfect for what they are.

People say they lack bass but i always hook up a powered sub of some kind and let these amazing little amps sing with efficient full rangers.

Zilla

Nice thread. I didn't feel like starting a whole new one just for this question:
I'm putting a FR and t-amp setup together for my sister. The budget for the amp is around $200.
It seems like there is a jungle of potential candidate t-amps out there.
I'm driving CHP-70s so I need more than a TA2024 equipped one.
The Dayton doesn't take 4 ohm so that is ruled out.
Virtue, which I have, and is happy with, is way too expensive in Denmark.
I've looked at the Hlly tamp-90.
Are there other (better?) alternatives out there? No DIY please (I realise the irony of posting this here, but DIY speakers are involved, so...)

I had the pleasure of hearing a tripath based Sure amp, a nice tube amp, and a gainclone on my full range speakers (Markaudio Alpair 10.2). I quickly preferred the gainclone. It just sounded better, fuller, more instrument separation, etc. Synergy is everything and if possible it's great to invite some friends over to your house with their amps in hand to see what works best for your particular setup.

Mean Well make really good ~24V switching supplies. There are some good examples mentioned in a few threads over at the Class-D forums.

You can very well use batteries. I recommend LFP / LiFePO4 batteries. These are available in the US at BatterySpace.com/AA Portable Power Corp. Tel: 510-525-2328 - Powerizer Battery Official Site - I'm not sure about Europe.

And a linear supply can also be built :) 41hz.com sell suitable DIY supplies with regulators and rectifiers - check out their PSU1 series: 41Hz Audio:pSU1-PS (Power Supply) kit or PS3: 41Hz Audio:pS3, 60V Power supply kit

There are lots of options. The Mean Well route is probably the most plug-and-play.

Are Helder and I think Hifimediy no longer doing the tk2050 amps? It looks like Helder have a replacement.. Now I'm confused as to what to get...

I'm pretty sure they're still doing them. Hifimediy T1 throught T4 are TK2050-based. They do use newer and better power stage chips (output transistors); These are half of the chipset. Still a TK2050-based design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.