Full range drivers and T-amps. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2011, 05:02 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

i am using topping tp20 mk2 (with ta2020 chip) with alpair 7s in a sealed 6.2litres box on my desktop. Its still in the burn in stage (phase 2). Havent gone beyond 10 o'clock yet. In my small 10x12 room, its enough for nearfield and sounds really good. Once the break in is done, I will crank it up and see how it does.
Old 8th June 2011, 05:22 PM   #12
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

I had the pleasure of hearing a tripath based Sure amp, a nice tube amp, and a gainclone on my full range speakers (Markaudio Alpair 10.2). I quickly preferred the gainclone. It just sounded better, fuller, more instrument separation, etc. Synergy is everything and if possible it's great to invite some friends over to your house with their amps in hand to see what works best for your particular setup.
Old 8th June 2011, 06:15 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
Temple Audio Bantam Gold.
Same 5-way binding posts as on the last pic of a Bryston i saw. One of favorites those.

dave
Old 8th June 2011, 06:32 PM   #14
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

The Temple is nice (great review at TNT BTW) but the TAMP-90 just seems to be better build. Just look at the size of the ring transformer:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th June 2011, 06:49 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

This gainclone type tube amp kit looks v cool but it comes in parts..Not sure my soldering skills up up to it.
Redvix Gain Clone Amp Intro

Its sold on ebay for just over 50 quid inc postage.

Or this built pcb gaincard power amp boards

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=g...=p3286.c0.m359

Last edited by Bill poster; 8th June 2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 9th June 2011, 07:07 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Properly implemented Tripath designs are amazing with fullrange speakers. Synergy and more magic.

I'd personally take a 24V powered amp with speakers of that low sensitivity. If you want ready-built then have a look at the Hifimediy TK2050 or Arjen Helder TK2050 amps.
Old 9th June 2011, 08:00 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Regarding power supply. Which 24 volt options are available? I cant find any good 24 volt options on the web.

1) battery, or can i brigde 2x12 volt?
2) smps
3) linear diy kits
Old 9th June 2011, 08:17 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Mean Well make really good ~24V switching supplies. There are some good examples mentioned in a few threads over at the Class-D forums.

You can very well use batteries. I recommend LFP / LiFePO4 batteries. These are available in the US at BatterySpace.com/AA Portable Power Corp. Tel: 510-525-2328 - Powerizer Battery Official Site - I'm not sure about Europe.

And a linear supply can also be built 41hz.com sell suitable DIY supplies with regulators and rectifiers - check out their PSU1 series: 41Hz Audio:PSU1-PS (Power Supply) kit or PS3: 41Hz Audio:PS3, 60V Power supply kit

There are lots of options. The Mean Well route is probably the most plug-and-play.
Old 9th June 2011, 10:58 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Are Helder and I think Hifimediy no longer doing the tk2050 amps? It looks like Helder have a replacement.. Now I'm confused as to what to get...
Old 9th June 2011, 11:01 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
Are Helder and I think Hifimediy no longer doing the tk2050 amps? It looks like Helder have a replacement.. Now I'm confused as to what to get...
I'm pretty sure they're still doing them. Hifimediy T1 throught T4 are TK2050-based. They do use newer and better power stage chips (output transistors); These are half of the chipset. Still a TK2050-based design.

Hide this!Advertise here!