A subwoofer love-child of FH3 and Shadow? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2011, 03:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A subwoofer love-child of FH3 and Shadow?

I'm putting out this proposal for a subwoofer aesthetically matched to the FH3.

"Shadow" is an existing P10 design, which can be seen here:
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...w-plans0v9.pdf

A wider, truncated version of the FH3 profile can possibly accommodate the design essentials of the Shadow, I believe. (Refer to my sketch.)

The height of the proposed cabinet is ruled by the length of the slot port (553mm).

The width can be increased to achieve the necessary internal volume within the height and profile constraints.

The side panels can be thickened to 19 or 20mm to provide the requisite stiffness.

I'd be interested to hear your comments.

cheers

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frugel shadow.jpg (320.6 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by Brisso57; 8th June 2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 8th June 2011, 05:24 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Surprisingly enuff Chris & I started work on a woofer companion for FH3 today. The design brief has been around for sometime.

Althou not as dramatic as FH1, FH3 can benefit from a deflector. We are making a full-height deflector and mounting an SDX7 on the back... Stealth Woofer.

That gives it 2 purposes. And hopefully surprises some people as to how much bass can be produced by that dinky 4" driver

Your idea should work too... get your SDX7 now before they run out.

dave
Old 8th June 2011, 07:09 AM   #3
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Surprisingly enuff Chris & I started work on a woofer companion for FH3 today. The design brief has been around for sometime.

Althou not as dramatic as FH1, FH3 can benefit from a deflector. We are making a full-height deflector and mounting an SDX7 on the back... Stealth Woofer.

That gives it 2 purposes. And hopefully surprises some people as to how much bass can be produced by that dinky 4" driver

Your idea should work too... get your SDX7 now before they run out.

dave
is this a text-book exemplar of "synchronicity" or what?

as Dave suggests,"carbon dating" on plans for the "stealth woofer" would be at least 5yrs ago, but it's hard to build 'em all - I'll likely be cutting material for these withing the next couple of days

passive deflectors for (your favorite) rear mouth horns do work to mitigate immediate reflections from a parallel rear wall boundary from "polluting" terminus output, and allow a bit more placement versatility - as well as serve as nifty plant stand when fabricated with flat tops ( sales pitch for WAF)

seriously though, for drivers such as CSS SDX7, Silver Flute, Tang Band or your favorite 6-8" woofer that can work in an approx 17-18 liter volume (XO between 80- 120Hz/ actively powered), consider a pair of simple full height triangular columns
Old 8th June 2011, 07:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Chris

I see what you and Dave are saying - integrating a speaker into the deflector, and I did track down the earlier thread/posts.
My tack is to admit that home theatre systems are now so common that having a similarly shaped extra item will likely go pretty much unnoticed by SWMBO. Different means to the same end. :-)

cheers

Doug

Hide this!Advertise here!