Budget Bookshelf F.A.S.T. anyone? ideas thread. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2011, 03:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Budget Bookshelf F.A.S.T. anyone? ideas thread.

hi guys.

Ive just been shopping around for speakers again, and ive settled for these. On sale and needless to say cheap. what do you think? asides the FR being 16ohm and helper woofer being 4 ohm....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th June 2011, 03:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

MMhh
I would have chosen 16 Ohm woofers ( four by four ) and 4 Ohm Frs.
Those TB I like ,but they are likely to work on an array ,indeed they may be good as midranges ( in a triplet-vertical array ) in a strange 3-way design ...
Old 6th June 2011, 03:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hahaha yes so would I, If I had the room!

I figured the woofers may be a little bit lame, High Fs, High Qts; but still perhaps fairly good for a closed box monitor. Its the Tangbands I like the look of, although they're a little poor above 10k, maybe it wouldnt be such a problem...
Old 6th June 2011, 03:56 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You getting those from Madisound? The woofer looks to be 8 ohms.

The paper cone Aura for $11.50 looks like it might do better bass, but introdices issues with efficiency if you are going to try for passive XO. The Aura 3" are quite good too.

The differing impedances do aid you in keeping passive XO parts sizes down

Which does bring up issues of efficiency, sensitivity and amp.

dave
Old 6th June 2011, 04:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you have the space and the extra dough, maybe the Silver flute W20 is worth a try for the bass driver. According to the published specs you could make a smallish vented enclosure for it, or if Chad Gray's specs are closer to what you're likely to get, then a small sealed enclosure should work great. With a choice of 91 or 94 DB efficiency, passive XO at baffle step seems like a natural step.

W20RC38-08

ChadGray.info

Last edited by chazdrumzalot; 6th June 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 6th June 2011, 04:24 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I was going to mention the SilverFlute, but they seemed out of the budget range.

Since FAST is not super critical of what the modwoofer does up high, another source is salvage from something found at a boot sale.

dave
Old 6th June 2011, 04:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks all :D

CHeers for the help here guys, With any luck ill build some budget 'decent' sounding speakers, and when he says on a budget, all in maybe 100...$150(?) either way the aura car woofers looked nice and cheap, and reasonable to x-o even if not stunning in the bass dept...
...Ive seen the Wool cone 5" driver and the datasheet looks quite reasonable, im just not sure.
...Oh and if its 8 Ohm then apologies...If anything thats probably a bonus! I thought it was 4 Ohm since it was auto audio.

I was actually considering using some 10" aluminium coned Bass guitar speakers, in some freakish experiment since i have 4 lying around, maybe 3 of which are usable....I havent measured the TS yet though...SPL ~93-95dB though, the frames are the thinnest stamped frames ive seen in a while, and ripe for strengthening. but to be honest i was concerned that maybe a 10" bass driver was too large to pair with a with extended range type driver, In a FAST application, and maybe a 4" might be better suited for the fullrange part. I even considered H frame or ripole, since i have a little efficiency to play with If I use the 10" bass driver, but Id be quite happy to stay within my limits of knowledge and just go sealed or vented lol. The only issue I think ill have is the 3" driver keeping up with the 10".

Last edited by mondogenerator; 6th June 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 6th June 2011, 04:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Have you tried them, Dave? I was always interested in putting together a project like this. Maybe silverflute sealed/vented + the new CHP-70 open baffle for an inexpensive all paper design?
Old 6th June 2011, 05:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The silverflute definately seem worth a look, although the temptation to get shot of these 10" srivers is making me think I may just get a smallish cheap FR to pair with them...I have some TB W2-800sl...6 off, so maybe small array mids and 10 helper? Im thinking that a single 2" Tb wouldnt be good, even a 3" MAY be pushing the fullranger.

What do you think? I agree, the bookshelf FAST concept really appeals to me, but the silver flute was a little expensive after i consider shipping costs.
Old 6th June 2011, 07:43 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdrumzalot View Post
Have you tried them, Dave? I was always interested in putting together a project like this. Maybe silverflute sealed/vented + the new CHP-70 open baffle for an inexpensive all paper design?
I have 6 of the W14 (a quad & a pair) all tweaked up ready to go. They just haven't reached the top of the queue.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!