Ringing in Philips 9710

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am using Philips 9710 in an tqwt enclosure.
I have noticed that one driver produces sometimes a high pitch ringing.
This happens usually when playing sopranos (in loud passges) or some guitar notes.
This does not happen when played quietly. Still annoying when you want to turn up the volume a bit to get more like life like performance.

It is still there when I take the driver out of the enclosure.

Is the spreaker fried? I guess there is nothing I can do?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Greg

Try first to figure out what the reason is.
If you swap positions for left and right speaker. Does the ringing follow the driver?
No= room accoustics
Yes= try swapping amplifer chanels without moving speakers. Does the ringing change with swapping?
No= Driver problem
Yes= amp problem

If driver problem is it coil or cone.
Try putting a doughnut of cotton or some other BAF or soft foam betwwen the inner cone and the main cone. Production tolerances can cause several resonances to coincide in one driver but not others, if you are out of luck.

Scraping voicecoil can be detetected by playing something like the 0-200 Hz test tone ( download from the net) and playing at a low volume with the driver out of the box. Out of the box the ideal driver would not make any noise at all just vibrate wih very little extra sounds being emitted.

Realigning a cone with paper suspension without reconing it?
I would look out for 9710 in flea markets and Ebay. I got a pair on a flea market for about 20 euros, in Voigt pipes facing forward and sounding quite terrible. The driver is made for facing upwards not towards the listerner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.