Do two halfs make a whole BLH?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a BLH theoretical question: For a given BLH design, if I were to take the horn and cut it in half lengthwise, so that the design now had two parallel half width horns, would it work the same as the original design with a single full width horn?

I'm considering doing this and using a different folding for each "side" of the horn. Each folding would implement the same expansion. The premise would be that the different foldings would "average out" some of the peakiness at the mouth of the horn that could be caused by a given folding scheme.

Hi dhenryp,

(a) can you bifurcate a horn? Definitely. That is what the Klipschorn is (among many others). A horn divided into two equal parts.

(b) So you'd use the same expansion, same length, same throat, same mouth size? But only a different folding? Or would the length, throat and mouth also change?

Seems like you're thinking that the peakiness is caused by the folding itself, (but in my very limited experience, the folding itself is not the big factor -- I've been wrong before though!) :)

Hi Denis,

Interesting. In my (very limited) understanding, a BLH's peaks are caused by the mouth being smaller than the wavelength's circumference.

If you are shooting for two different responses, I don't think the different folding alone is going to get you much. I think you'd need two differently tuned horns (speaking strictly as a newb).

It sounds definitely worth trying though, in any case. Hard to argue with actually building and measuring!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.