Fostex FE166, MarkAduio Alpair12 or other? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2011, 07:54 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
Will the FE166En work in an AustinA166?
Yes.

Quote:
Be careful with the Half Chang though. Mine attacked me yesterday. It jumped out of my arms and stomped on my bare toes. I now regret filling the area behind the mouth with sand.
Our sand filled brynn are heavy enuff...

dave
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:05 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode3 View Post
The Victor is "under development" and no drawings are given.
Until a build of Victor or Vulcan is done and deemed a success, it will not be released.

Quote:
I can not steam bend (or bend) birch for Rons A166 project.
A166 is built with all standard flat panels. (except for the one pair of translam that layertone did)

Quote:
but at 6' tall I am starting to get into the "wife won't have that one" territory...
Victor & Vulcan are no smaller

Perhaps I am being a bit too whiny, but I suppose I am looking for something like the Frugel for a 6.5" Fostex and not the 4".

Quote:
It would almost be worth it to buy them from planet-10-hifi
If they were for a bit larger driver. I don't think the 4" will do well in my room size...
The small drivers give up efficiency, ultimate dynamics & levels, and bass slam, to give better performance everywhere else. For the difference in cost, one could add a couple of powered stealth woofers in a pair of deflectors and cover off the last 2 of those points as well as make gains in the things they already do better.

And that last paragraph is based on my personal experience in my "not all that small" listening space.

dave
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:09 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
For alternatives in that size, also check out the Tang Band W6-1916:
I have not heard any of these high end TBs but they sure are nicely made.
Just got my W5-1611. Quite nicely built althou not up to the standards set by the MA Alpairs (not as expensive either thou). These, the Fostex FE138eSR will soon be tried in Frugel-Horn Mk3, if they work we'll "fit" a pair of Alpair10 to see how they do.

dave

Edit: Scott has done up a new (both as in newly designed and in that it brings something novel), for the W5-1611, and the same TB Deckert uses in his DNA BVR. Called Mallard (after Ducky in NCIS, the same actor that played Illya Kuryakin in Man from U.N.C.L.E)
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:12 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
The plans for the A166 where lost and no clear plan is available so you have to wing it based on what is on the Frugal horn site
I have done a redraw of the Austin A126 (which i have neglected to link up on the site). Many thanx to the member that provided the donation that pushed these to the top of the queue.

dave
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:16 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Another idea would be 2 fh3s per side. Turn one upside down and stack it on top of the other or just incorporate them into one cabinet but integration may be a problem.
I have a 1st pass sketch of the integrated one somewhere. You could also follow Ed's lead and siamese 4 of them.

dave
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:48 PM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Yes.

Our sand filled brynn are heavy enuff...

dave

sand should also be included the lower void for stability - filling at centerline of double mouth designs without lower ballast or outrigger base would be asking for trouble
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:34 PM   #17
triode3 is offline triode3  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The small drivers give up efficiency, ultimate dynamics & levels, and bass slam, to give better performance everywhere else. For the difference in cost, one could add a couple of powered stealth woofers in a pair of deflectors and cover off the last 2 of those points as well as make gains in the things they already do better.

And that last paragraph is based on my personal experience in my "not all that small" listening space.

dave
Hrm, I was really thinking about it. I emailed you at the address on your site, but it did not work. I will try again.
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:15 PM   #18
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Another idea would be 2 fh3s per side. Turn one upside down and stack it on top of the other or just incorporate them into one cabinet but integration may be a problem.

Valiant / Maeshowe (depending on selected driver, the air cavity would need to be changed) - probably better controlled /extended bass than FH3^2

I've spent a bit of time with FE126En in these, and they're now residing casa Dlugos with (I believe) EL70s - have no trouble in a quite large space
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:18 PM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode3 View Post
Hrm, I was really thinking about it. I emailed you at the address on your site, but it did not work. I will try again.
If you found an address that didn't work, i'd like to find it and squash it. Any of the 3 sites in my sig will have my email, and i can be mailed thru the forum.

dave
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:27 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the Fostex FE138eSR will soon be tried in Frugel-Horn Mk3...
Oh, fantastic! Can you please post your impressions? I have a pair of these (from Serenechaos) and I would really love to get them in a cab. Thank you in advance!

Hide this!Advertise here!