A new FR product from Decware

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What led me to purchase the Taboo amp back in 06 was when he sent out the prototype of it to various forum members around the US to use in their systems, and give their impressions over the few days each got to have it..

That was classy marketing if you ask me.. Then I still waited after the
Anniversary Taboo got released (Decware's 10 years online etc) for a good long while and finally put my order in.. I, like many, do not have stacks of extra funds lying around to play with, and every dollar has always been through hard work, sweat and blood etc.. Never have regretted buying the amp, and it is a prized possession of mine.. The marketing bs I guess has to happen in some form?, sad really, I like the truth over built up drama or fiction myself.. Guess the proof is always in the listening anyways, at least that's how it should be etc..:2c:

What led me to purchase the Taboo amp back in 06 was when he sent out the prototype of it to various forum members around the US to use in their systems, and give their impressions over the few days each got to have it..

That was classy marketing if you ask me.. Then I still waited after the
Anniversary Taboo got released (Decware's 10 years online etc) for a good long while and finally put my order in.. I, like many, do not have stacks of extra funds lying around to play with, and every dollar has always been through hard work, sweat and blood etc.. Never have regretted buying the amp, and it is a prized possession of mine.. The marketing bs I guess has to happen in some form?, sad really, I like the truth over built up drama or fiction myself.. Guess the proof is always in the listening anyways, at least that's how it should be etc..:2c:

Dave: no one has questioned the sonic or build qualities of Steve's amps, or for that matter the speakers that have been heard, and yes, all marketing is predicated on a certain degree of congratulating the customer in advance for their wise choice of your product, but some of Steve's ad copy and technical papers read as rather Pythonesque .

...but some of Steve's ad copy and technical papers read as rather Pythonesque .

Indeed. They never expect the Spanish Inquisition do they. :D

Attachments

• Spanish_inquisition.jpg
    Spanish_inquisition.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
Chris, oh no I'm in total agreement with you and others on all that too for sure.. I didn't think anyone was knocking the sonic or build quality of some of his stuff either, and even if so each to their own with what sounds and works good for them etc.:cool:

Robert, no not spiky in the treble at all really..Sometimes I want to try something different, like maybe a 5-8'' driver or a coax etc, but I keep having so many great magical listening moments that I've just stuck with them.. One day when I have more time I'll maybe try some other design and driver.. Been without my H-Frames for a good while now as my sub amp went kaput, so I'm missing my low end but will soon get a replacement of some sort.. So my German made sub amp with low hours on it went under with little play the last few years, but my US made Deware Taboo still fires up and does all it should with tons of hours on it:) A full range driver augmented with MJK's H-Frames for the lows sure makes for some spectacular listening sessions at times, I'm quite a happy camper for the most part... As with everything always a little room for improvement here and there, and so the sickness lives on lol :cool:

Hey Dave, it's actually a stand alone amp, the Reckhorn A400.. The first one I ordered had to go back and was replaced right away due to some static noise coming from the auto on, and then the second one arrived with two missing high level push connector speaker input tabs, but I just kept it anyways.. I plugged it in to make sure it was working ok which it was, then it sat in it's box for over a year etc.. It maybe has a year and a half of use on it with the volume never above 10:30 am on the dial or so.. I sent it in to a electronics repair shop around here where all I got told after 3 months of waiting that he's not sure what is wrong with it and it came back with the back plate all marked up now too, arrgg... Anyhow the symptoms were it would be playing fine then periodically you'd hear steady static coming from the speakers which got worse over time etc... Oh well, no biggie... :cool:

Update, for those who care - let's note without devolving into further mudslinging, that the section of Steve's introduction of the DNA Speaker containing analysis of shortcomings of Ed's Horn (commercial product) and a DIYers' build of FrugalHorn MkI is no longer on the main page.

As I asked on the AC forum thread now in Quarantine - why is that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.