Looking for Baltimore-DC Area carpenter to build EL70 MicroTower cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Forgive me if this is inappropriate to ask in this forum, but what would be a ballpark figure I might expect to pay for having a pair of the castle microtower cabinets built by a professional carpenter?
Does anyone know of a reputable cabinet builder in the DC-Baltimore region who wouldn't charge an arm and a leg to build these relatively simple cabinets?
I love do-it-yourself audio but I just do not have the time to build things with my hands these days.
Thanks in advance!:drink:
Marc

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Good point, thanks.
I'd prefer to have baltic birch or a near equivalent, and some sort of darkish veneer (walnut, teak, etc.) with a simple yet durable natural oil finish (tung/linseed/beeswax?).
My intent for the speakers is to have them in the family living room, so 'presentability' is high in priority.
I've never contracted any carpentry before so this is all new research for me.

I thought I would post some pics and details as I am working. We decided to avoid veneering by using solid wood for the sides and 3/4 BB ply for the front and back. This will hide the plies, allow a round over of the edges, and avoid any grain conflicts. IMO this will also look good. Since this is a copyrighted design I contacted the appropriate person and got a very nice response that a cabinet or two is OK. I attached a couple shots of the wood for the sides and top after I rough milled it. It is Sapelle 5/4 thick. Each cabinet will use one board. More to come....
Evan

Attachments

• marc wood 2 001.jpg
    marc wood 2 001.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 230
  • marc wood 2 002.jpg
    marc wood 2 002.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 218
OK, some time has gone by and I now have all the parts cut to size, and the holes machined for the drivers. I went for a tongue and groove to join the parts. Keeping the budget in mind I had my cnc guy make patterns for the driver cut out and recess which I followed with my router....More to come
Evan

Attachments

• DSC01149.JPG
    DSC01149.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 181
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.