Beginner questions, acquiring full system - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2011, 04:11 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Lets see if i can cover all the questions and add comments.

1/ i consider FX120 to be the middle ground between the more oft used Fostex (usual candidates). Perhaps a little shy on dynamics

2/ t-amps. So far i side with Chris at least as far as the usual candidates are considered, but haven't heard our recently aquired Sure 4x100.

3/ the FE126En may look the same from the front, but is in no way a substitute for the FE127e. The FF125WK might be close.

4/ Either the CHP-70 or EL70 would be an excellent choice. They are fraternal twins. Given the VERY aggressive sale price Blue Planet has on the CHP it is not hard to make a choice. And they are likely much happier with the Sure than the Fostex.

5/ you might consider using the change from your 200 euro to get a set of Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-pak from Colin (aka Toppsy) -- insist on BB (he is making these on demand, you could ask for 15mm (perfectly adequate) and sve some shipping.

6/ i have an unreleased re-work of the mMar-Kel70 for the CHP, but a larger box would get more, guess it is time to rework the full Mar-Kel70 for CHP (and go a Classic Golden Ratio for those daunted by the primes) -- I'm gonna guess Zia is jumping up & down right now.

Quote:
... or Kal-el70
That is a beauty. The Mar-Ken, Mar-Kel are a tribute to Superman/Krypton, you pulled a good one out of the hat.

The CHR-Ken (aka dCHR-Ken70 formerly dMar-Ken70) was member named, i think i'll use Kal-El for the CHP variations of the Mar-Kel (for those who are not familiar Clark Kent was born Kal-El).

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 30th May 2011, 06:25 AM   #12
rossi is offline rossi  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Thanks you for the helpful response!

Zman, I think that's what I'll do. Since they're at a very good sale price, I should just buy another set. I could try it in the Kal-El when it's been reworked.

Chris and Dave: I didn't noticed I had typed it wrong, it was a subconscious mistake It's pleasant that you're renaming the line
It's a good idea getting a flat kit for the FH3, I will look into it!

Since I know I am able to make the Pensil myself, I am wondering what the different qualities are between this and the FH3? In what I have read so far, the FH3 trumps it almost on all points?
Old 30th May 2011, 07:11 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi View Post
It's pleasant that you're renaming the line
Since i haven't yet done the miniOnken for CHP it was in search of a name

Quote:
Since I know I am able to make the Pensil myself, I am wondering what the different qualities are between this and the FH3? In what I have read so far, the FH3 trumps it almost on all points?
Given that i have not heard of any Pensil70P builds, there is not a lot/if any comparisons yet to be made.

dave
Old 30th May 2011, 11:18 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

*I always wondered where the names came from

definitely got to do the Kal-El
Old 30th May 2011, 01:43 PM   #15
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

My EL70s are breaking in.... were preparing them for the Micro Towers and swap out the CHR-70s and build a Lotus^2...

With the advent of Kal-El70 that whole plan is in jeopardy!

Dave, I ordered only 2 CHP-70s from Blue Planet... maybe should've ordered more!

-Zia
Old 30th May 2011, 01:44 PM   #16
rossi is offline rossi  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I ordered 4 drivers, and I'll build a Pensil. To be seen what I'll do with the second pair.
Old 30th May 2011, 01:55 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Rossi,

Planet10 is just warming up with the CHP-70... I am sure they'll find a good home!

-Zia
Old 30th May 2011, 05:44 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

6/ i have an unreleased re-work of the mMar-Kel70 for the CHP, but a larger box would get more, guess it is time to rework the full Mar-Kel70 for CHP (and go a Classic Golden Ratio for those daunted by the primes) -- I'm gonna guess Zia is jumping up & down right now.

dave
From the threads it looks like the Micro Towers are gaining popularity also... so can we expect to see CHP-70 tuning added to the plans down the road?

-Zia
Old 30th May 2011, 06:44 PM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
*I always wondered where the names came from
fonken-style box nomenclature... what is with those names?

dave
Old 30th May 2011, 06:48 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
From the threads it looks like the Micro Towers are gaining popularity also... so can we expect to see CHP-70 tuning added to the plans down the road?
Yes.

The initial design work for Kal-El for CHP70 is done. CHP70.3 changes when i get final data from Mark.

Zia, whether you like it or not, you gonna end up being in the speaker business. Even if just to keep your wife from killing you.

You shoulda bought more.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!