My brief CSS EL70 review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Impressed, very.

I put a little 'sound-system' together for a friend of mine, who works in an office all day, and has music playing (quite loud, not background music) all day, that was using a *blowse* system.

I put the EL70s in small sealed triangular shaped boxes (so they fit deeply into the corner and use the walls as a kind of wave guide, my goal was to fill the whole room with sweet music, not create a 'sweet spot' ) maybe .5 cube each box, maybe a bit less, they are small?

and a sub.

i burned the speakers in for about 15 hours and installed the system, everything sounded very nice and clean and open and detailed and non offensive/fatiguing, i was satisfied.

friend was impressed and grateful.

i got a call yesterday (the speakers have now had 100s of hours put onto them) as the sub had 'stopped working', went over and switched the sub back on !! :D and listened to the system again.

wow, the sound has changed a lot, in those tiny boxes, in a 800 sq/ft room, the EL70s were producing enough bass that it almost doesnt require a sub anymore????!!!!!

mids and highs were still beautiful and smooth and detailed (no need for a tweeter in my opinion) no need at all.

I'm thoroughly impressed with these little 4" drivers.

if your wondering about them, or considering a small full range driver,

try them, if you dont like them, contact me, and ill buy yours.

Last edited:
I think they needed maybe 300-400hrs before they went from "good" to "really good". And after like 700hrs they went "superb".
I've been using them without a sub for like half a year, and i listen to everything from Alison Krauss to Raised Fist. I don't really lack depth in the bass, only air-moving capacity (which a 4" driver has none lol).

I'm just as impressed with you. For the money i think they're unbeatable (even though they're the only full-rangers in this price range that i've heard).

Glad you like them man. They really are a stellar driver. When I got my set and put them into a bipole design that Scott did. I'll be totally honest, I hated them when I first turned them on. I didn't break them in before I put them in the cabinets and that's why. They had NO high end detail.

But after some hours on them they really started coming around. And as time went on they got even better. I think it was Chad that didn't believe me about speaker breakin. I didn't either till that point. That was my learning experience.

I still, to this day, claim the most real sound I've ever heard come out of a speaker was from my Coniston^2 towers with the EL70's. It's an odd spring sound in the song Avratz by Infected Mushroom. It sounds like it's happening. No other way to explain it.

Glad you like them man. They really are a stellar driver. When I got my set and put them into a bipole design that Scott did. I'll be totally honest, I hated them when I first turned them on. I didn't break them in before I put them in the cabinets and that's why. They had NO high end detail.

But after some hours on them they really started coming around. And as time went on they got even better. I think it was Chad that didn't believe me about speaker breakin. I didn't either till that point. That was my learning experience.

I still, to this day, claim the most real sound I've ever heard come out of a speaker was from my Coniston^2 towers with the EL70's. It's an odd spring sound in the song Avratz by Infected Mushroom. It sounds like it's happening. No other way to explain it.

Yes, i was also somewhat disappointed when i first turned them on. Nearly no bass, thin sound and no high end detail. Sounded like a low-quality midrange speaker. But god, they really sound fabulous now!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.