AN 2.8 cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have anyone built these? I bought the plans in order to start on them wilst saving up for the drivers, but I really am clueless as to what is the best approach.

Can I just make them so as I make the front according to specs and then fit the top and bottom and back inside the sidepanels, so the joints are on the top, bottom and back?
The external dimention should be right if I make the top and bottom shorter on the one end, right? so they fit inside the sides?

Any tips, suggestions?

Is it difficult to veneer them? Any pointers?

If I choose to paint them, I was thinking a filler (don't know the english name for it) to cover up the joints, then use a foundation, then paint (what kind?) and then what? Wax and clearcoat?

any help is much appreciated here guys.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I may or may not have direct experience with this design. I measured a locals drivers and suggested he increase the length of the port from a 6" hole in the box to a much longer one (6-8", can't recall) for considerable improvement in bass performance. I have also simmed a number of these and did not like what i saw.

David Dicks has also gotten into a number of testy forum discussions trying to defend his one-size-fits-all box design philosophy.

I'd suggest that you design your own box if you opt for these drivers.

dave

I may or may not have direct experience with this design. I measured a locals drivers and suggested he increase the length of the port from a 6" hole in the box to a much longer one (6-8", can't recall) for considerable improvement in bass performance. I have also simmed a number of these and did not like what i saw.

David Dicks has also gotten into a number of testy forum discussions trying to defend his one-size-fits-all box design philosophy.

I'd suggest that you design your own box if you opt for these drivers.

dave

That seem to be the general opinion om these drivers, what intrigues me is that everything I read om the owners having listened to them is the excact opposite. I can also understand why he defends hos designs, I would too. That aside, thanks for the reply. I find them too luring to easaly discard.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The local guy liked his before the vent mods. He liked them better after (Note: he also used much more bracing than specified).

They were OK but I was underwhelmed. They used the 12" standard (or maybe the 10 -- he has both).

I've not had the opportunity to hear any of the cast basket ones. Many speak highly of the cast 8". Looking at the T/S data, i'd think a horn would be a more appropriate box.

dave

The local guy liked his before the vent mods. He liked them better after (Note: he also used much more bracing than specified).

They were OK but I was underwhelmed. They used the 12" standard (or maybe the 10 -- he has both).

I've not had the opportunity to hear any of the cast basket ones. Many speak highly of the cast 8". Looking at the T/S data, i'd think a horn would be a more appropriate box.

dave

Thanks. I don't have a workshop an the missus dont like horn designs, to big and difficult to make I also imagine. I have to snoop around to see if I can find something.

Sometimes I think its best to find things out for yourself.;)
I haven't listened to these cabinets, but i know of someone who is pleased with the "Ambience" version.

Stick to the original plans.
But make a front baffle that allows for some experiments with port sizes.
Can't help with veneering much, but the iron-on stuff works well for me.
I would build them and get the sound sorted, before thinking about any finishing.

If you don't like them, there's always the option of open baffle. Possibly the best option.

I haven't listened to these cabinets, but i know of someone who is pleased with the "Ambience" version.

I would build them and get the sound sorted, before thinking about any finishing.

If you don't like them, there's always the option of open baffle. Possibly the best option.

You're probably right.

You're probably right.

Not debating that OB's aren't a viable option for some folks, but if "horns" are an issue for the missus, how likely is it that an OB capable of employing these drivers (i.e. possibly needing some low end assistance) would have any higher a WAF?

Not debating that OB's aren't a viable option for some folks, but if "horns" are an issue for the missus, how likely is it that an OB capable of employing these drivers (i.e. possibly needing some low end assistance) would have any higher a WAF?

In my case very likely.
The open baffles are quite wide, but reasonably flat. Therefore not intrusive.
Suitable horns could easily be the size of a fridge freezer.
Fine if you have the space.

I found an article in affordableaudio om the S12. Seems he had to do quite a bit to refine the sound to his liking. I have also looked info the alpair 12 but I have 6.5" drivers on my Dali 2002's so anything new has to both go deeper and play better than those. I am willing to consider a wallmountable 3" - 6.5" fullranger and a subwoofer.

Small update. I got lucky and gained access to a woodshop, so I am going for these. ie the 2.8 with a super 10 or 12. Any tips upon making them? best way to assemble them, damping tips? diy stand or spikes of sorts? Type of paint for finish? primer, etc?

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I don't know if stuff like Miniwax is available in Norway, but I bet similar or better stuff is accessible. Just pick good quality plywood and stain the cabinets with two or three coats of stain. Then sand and another couple of coats of polyurethane and you're done.

Check the Miniwax website. They describe how stain should be applied.

I don't think so. But I may be wrong.

Best thing to do is to just dive straight into it. Knowing you are new to this, don't expect to get brilliant results the first time. Just try something, see if it works, if not, try something else.

Good point. I would love some tips from those of you having painted MDF, what would be more suitable, etc?

I want these to have a dark brownish finish. Not too glossy, but a small shine is nice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.