Newbie needs help choosing Driver & Enclosure - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2011, 10:51 PM   #11
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

hahaha... thanks Chris... I don't like words such as "perfect" either. There is no perfect speaker, and certainly not one for everybody.

So, I stand corrected. The AN would be a great choice.

I had the ANs in a voigt pipe enclosure. Sounded pretty good. Since then, I've tried to fit a variety of full range drivers in the same cabinet I really like the sound of the voigt pipe. I've heard the ANs in a transmission line and while they sounded good, I would take the VPs over them.

My current setup is AN over OB, supported by a woofer. Crossed around 150 Hz.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:15 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I like the Zu Audio approach, functional but stylish- big full range paper driver with a tweet to boost the high's, makes perfect sense. Maybe a design similar to this wd work for you.

Zu Audio | A Revolution in American HiFi
Old 26th May 2011, 05:24 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
hahaha... thanks Chris... I don't like words such as "perfect" either. There is no perfect speaker, and certainly not one for everybody.

So, I stand corrected. The AN would be a great choice.

I had the ANs in a voigt pipe enclosure. Sounded pretty good. Since then, I've tried to fit a variety of full range drivers in the same cabinet I really like the sound of the voigt pipe. I've heard the ANs in a transmission line and while they sounded good, I would take the VPs over them.

My current setup is AN over OB, supported by a woofer. Crossed around 150 Hz.

which particular ANs and woofers?
Old 26th May 2011, 06:21 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Yves,

As you can see there are many potential candidate drivers, each with people who think they are the greatest, while others can't stand them. :-) :-(

If you can't get to RMAF or a similar event to hear them, I suggest that you make a short list of drivers and search this forum for threads on their use. Decide which driver(s) will most likely please you and any other listeners (wife or significant other).

You need to choose a driver with the sound quality you prefer, then build a box for bass reproduction.

For starters, your list should include drivers from Fostex (166En and 206En), Mark Audio (Alpair 10.2 and 12), Audio Nirvana (8 , 12 , and 15 cast frame among others), Tang Band (1772 and 1808), Eminence (LT-12A), Planet 10 (modified drivers), Seas (FA22RCZ), Wild Burro Acoustics (Betsy and BetsyK) and Jordan (XJ92).

Once you narrow the choices down, try 'fishing' with focussed questions about them here. Keep in mind that what you are really trying to do is to discover the pros and cons that are the most important to you (your preferences), thereby allowing you to pick a driver that most closely meets them; not a driver that has the widest bandwidth, most extended treble, least peaky treble, is most resolving, has the best imaging, etc.

Good luck,

Bob

Last edited by AstroSonic; 26th May 2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 27th May 2011, 11:51 PM   #15
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
which particular ANs and woofers?
AN8 coupled to Eminence Deltalite 2515.
Old 28th May 2011, 01:15 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hello all, I'm a frequent lurker; infrequent poster. Just finished a pair of Alpair 12 in a studio monitor cabinet; 3rd diy full range speaker and it's being driven by a Tubelab Simple SE (7 to 10 WPC in triode mode). These speakers are truly amazing. Take a look at the Markaudio forum and see the effort that goes into each of these drivers.
Old 28th May 2011, 02:05 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAMOUS View Post
Hello all, I'm a frequent lurker; infrequent poster. Just finished a pair of Alpair 12 in a studio monitor cabinet; 3rd diy full range speaker and it's being driven by a Tubelab Simple SE (7 to 10 WPC in triode mode). These speakers are truly amazing. Take a look at the Markaudio forum and see the effort that goes into each of these drivers.
Pictures please, what's the volume of this monitor cab?
Old 28th May 2011, 02:30 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

The box is called "Alpair 12 Studio Monitor Double Bass Reflex", It can be found on diyAudio. I think the dimensions are 20 1/4 Tall, 14 Deep, 11 Wide. The boxes still need more finishing work but here's a "nude" picture.

Alpair 12.jpeg
Old 28th May 2011, 02:40 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAMOUS View Post
Alpair 12 Studio Monitor Double Bass Reflex
A thread on another build Alpair 12 Studio Reference Monitors fired up

Plans on this page: p10 hifi | Box Library / Mark Audio

dave
Old 28th May 2011, 02:46 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hello Dave, thanks for providing the link to Studio Monitor. In particular, thanks for all of the valuable information you provide on these forums. I have learned a great deal from you and the other "frequent contributors." Sincerely, Stu Cohen

Hide this!Advertise here!