FaitalPRO 3FE20 sensitivity? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2011, 09:45 PM   #1
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FaitalPRO 3FE20 sensitivity?

Been looking at 3-4" full range drivers. It'd be used in a small 3 way with separate woofers (so 4-way really), all simple 1st order electrical, attempting to meet a 1st order acoustic as far as possible (around 100, 1k, and 10khz).

The FaitalPRO 3FE20 and 4FE30 caught my eye a while back, but I'm very suspicious of the 3FE20's sensitivity rating. IIRC, the last time I modeled it, sensitivity from T-S parameters yielded around 86 dB/watt. Looking at the graph on their website, it does indeed reach 91 dB. So, does it have a rising response characteristic? Or, are they really just cheating as badly as Monacor (and others) by lying about both the sensitivity spec AND manipulating the graph to show it? I figure it must be one of the two. If it's the former, I could deal with that. If it's the latter, I'll scratch it off my list.

I'd be really interested in hearing from anyone who has used this driver and any measurements they might have.

FaitalPRO - Professional Loudspeakers Made in Italy
Old 24th May 2011, 10:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Calculating from their T/S specs. (several of which look rather too pat to be entirely believable IMO) you're looking at a reference efficiency of 0.28% & a sensitivity figure of 86.49dB 1m/w, or 87.6dB 1m/2.83v.

Manufacturers often take an average figure for the SPL (some pick the highest point, even if it's a major breakup), so make of that what you will. Personally, I'd always err on the side of caution.
Old 6th October 2011, 10:35 PM   #3
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got a 4FE30 in a mini-Karlson - am breaking it in on a Jimmy Witherspoon DVD-A - meters peak around -12 or do at a decent level with 0 = 375 watts into an 8 ohm load - for this type driver and the coated cone, it has good HF - I want to loosen it up but don't wanna cook the tiny coil - these meters are really crappy - its more like -17dB peaks at a good level for blues listening

Last edited by freddi; 6th October 2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 8th October 2011, 06:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

subjectively (in A-B comparison), 4FE30 in a mini-Karlson is a good deal punchier, louder and better extended on top than the MCM 5" monitor (~like Dayton's PA130) mounted in a paper mache "reflex-head" in A-B. 4FE30 might be worth consideration. They sell for $32usd each.

Last edited by freddi; 8th October 2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 8th October 2011, 08:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th October 2011, 11:18 AM   #6
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice. Thanks for the info freddi!
Old 27th September 2012, 02:59 AM   #7
Banned

Yes the 3Fe20 are >90dB. We did use the 3Fe20 as MF in a 3-way system with good results (& are liquidating several of these 3" Nd drivers).
Old 27th September 2012, 02:50 PM   #8
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
I've got a 4FE30 in a mini-Karlson - am breaking it in on a Jimmy Witherspoon DVD-A - meters peak around -12 or do at a decent level with 0 = 375 watts into an 8 ohm load - for this type driver and the coated cone, it has good HF - I want to loosen it up but don't wanna cook the tiny coil - these meters are really crappy - its more like -17dB peaks at a good level for blues listening
I forget if you have it or if JL kept it, but do you have an FF125K? How would you compare the sound versus 4FE30?

IG

Hide this!Advertise here!